Saturday, June 3, 2023

'Ralphie'... moments. oh dear.


Spent the morning, and early afternoon, yesterday... meeting with Folks, who wanted to come visit.
<3
Fun... Folks.
<3
As I waited for each group to arrive, began gluing broken statuary.
'Weeping Mary', somehow... over the course of the sale, was knocked over.
: (
Her neck was snapped.
: (

Got her all fixed up.
<3
Was thinking about a Hemmingway quote, as I repaired concrete.
"The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places."
I've never offered Mary, for sale... She's a Keeper.
<3
God Knows... I'll love her in one piece, or....many.
<3


Sisters!
: )
Loved the Alice in Wonderland Tatts... and Sparkling Boots!!!
<3
My Kinda Gals!!
<3

<3


a glimpse... of what's to come.
Night before last... was a Mess.
We finally got a little rain.

The rain water... was running from the highway, down past The Saint...
to John's old Oak, then... finding it's way to the entry of the house.
Just...a little rain, with the ground being so dry, and the rain... coming down hard, and fast...
oh my.
: (
When we get 'Real' Rain... 
oh my.
: (
Our Home... nor, The Rabbit Hole, has Ever Flooded, in the 40, plus years... I've lived here.
Even when we got 7 inches of rain, in 2014.
{The house has flooded, because of the loss of our drainage, 'tile' issues, from the IDOT project. I'm so worried about 'The Basin' they've put us in. Big Time.}



 Ran outside, in the pouring rain... and straightened the horrible temporary hoses, that have been there since IDOT took our underground drainage, in hopes... the inside of the house wouldn't flood, for the 16th. time, since their last '151 Project'.
I'd coiled them back, for The Sale... so people wouldn't trip over them.
While frantically rushing to do so, in the storm, {It came up, so fast.} didn't get the door latched to the house.
When I returned, found the door wide open...
went into a Huge Panic.
: (
Where... was Miss. Peanut???
She's blind, if she gets out, without being on her cable, she could be lost, forever.
Highway 151 is a Killer. 
Ran around the house... yelling for her, looked outside, yelling...yelling, then...
turned around, she was standing at the door.
Praise God!!
<3

Oh... my.

Wrote a little, day before yesterday... about John flickin' his lit Lucky... in someone's face.
He... also flicked his ashes on the same guy's head....
as...
the guy was attempting to take his license plates off of my stolen '61 Ford Ton Flatbed, Dad... had been using to haul Iron with.

It was 1980... somethin'.
Early 80's
I...was about 19.

I'll never forget that morning, as long as I live.
Dad was working at an old Farm... near Marion, Iowa....cleaning up old farm machinery.
Cutting it up, for scrap.
I.. usually helped Dad, but... was working another job, and helping John.
Dad... hired two 'guys', they were working on 'Shares'.
Splitting everything equally, after expences.
Dad was staying at the Old Farm.
The Farmer who owned the Farm, and the mountain's of scrap... was Happy to have Dad... get It All Cleaned Up.
; )
The 'guys'... helped Dad, cut, and load... the first Big Load of scrap.
Several hundred dollar's worth.
Sometime... in the night, before Dad was going to sell it, the 'guys' paid Dad a visit.
Backed Dad into a corner, demanded the keys to The Ford...
 stole it... along with the Load.

Dad.. waited until daylight, walked to a neighboring Farm, called me.
{No phone, at the Old Farm. }

oh...dear.
I, called John.
We picked up Dad, at The Farm...
went to the scrap yard, where...
the 'guys' had already dumped, and sold... The Load.
: (
then...
 we started hunting.

Hunting a Red... '61 Ford Ton Truck, with a Flatbed, and Side Racks, 
well... those 'guys', 
Thieves...
weren't very smart.
Pretty easy to spot.

We found 'em... in a parking lot...with the hood up, on The Ford.

Don't know What they thought the problem was... but... they'd run it out of gas.
{Could've vapor locked... don't remember, but... I do remember, all it took was a little gas, to get the Ford started.}

One was trying to remove his plates, he'd replaced the Ford's with...
the other 'guy'... was trying to climb inside the driver's door, as John, and me, bailed out of John's old... Oldsmobile... Toronado, John had blocked the Ford with.

{Dad... was in the back seat, he... couldn't keep up with us. Oh My...
we were movin' fast. }

What happened next, makes me think of Ralphie, in the movie...
' A Christmas Story'.

The 'guy', John... was 'monitoring', had 'Pinned'...
as he was frantically attempting to remove his plates, from The Stolen Ford, on the ground...
 {I remember hearing John...  asking... him, 
in... The 'Special' way... John had...
"Where's the loot???" }
: )

That 'guy'....got off easy.
oh...my.

The other 'guy' was all mine.

I asked the 'guy'... about his 'bravery'.
Asked him... if he thought it was alright, to back an elderly Man... into a corner, and Steal... from him, well... maybe, he'd like to take a swing, at a woman, too.
oh my.

I'd never 'sworn', in front of my Dad.
Ever.
{Never smoked in front of Dad, either. He didn't approve, I respected Dad. Always.}

The word's... that came spewing out of my mouth... while POUNDING on that horrible creep, didn't catch up to me, until... 
I found my way back to the Oldsmobile, where Dad... was still sitting.
: (

{The 'guys'... took off running, 
'Crippling' away, on foot.
John, had Dad's 'Loot'.... in Hand.}
<3

Dad... never said a word, about my profanity.
but...
I, felt so ashamed.
: (
We... never spoke of it, again.
<3

John... had a way about him.
The few times, I observed John...
'Make Things Right'...
made me very proud of him.
Over the years, seems, people aren't as tuff, as they were, and wince, when they hear stories like these.
That's o.k.
I'd like to believe, I'm not as hot headed, as I was, when I was young.
but...
if put in that same situation today, somehow... I don't believe the outcome would be much different.
The thought, of two creeps, {my age.. at that time} laying their hands on my Dad, or...anyone I love, oh dear.

Don't recall... ever being that angry.
Definitely a 'Ralphie' moment.
{I'll post the clip, above.}

Dad...was such a Hard Worker.
He was always so kind, to everyone.
Always, always... more than Fair.
{to a 'fault'... sometimes. <3 }
He... had a bad habit of always trusting people.
That's a Good thing, but... Dad, took it to an extreme.
I've inherited that trait, a little...too.
The IDOT, and Fairfax... have shown me, that... in spades.
Sadly.

That's why I'm so incredibly grateful, to our Lawyer.
Ya can't settle 'Wrongs'... with fists, these days.
{Sometimes... sure wish we could.}
I've heard it from many... over the years, "If John were only here, things would be so different."
Yes...
they would...
and,
John, would be in jail.

Started writing this post, yesterday... then, had to walk away from it.
I can't post everything I'd like to, yet.
The Book... is coming.

In 1839 Edward Bulwer-Lytton wrote, 
"The pen is mightier than the sword."
Something our Lawyer has shown me, and proven...
 over, and over.
Grateful.

Love to Ya...
Prayers, for All.

Barb C.

No comments: