Sunday, December 30, 2012

There ain't but Three Things...in this Old World...that's worth a Solitary...Dime...

 
This is an Image...of... in my mind....
The Greatest Story Teller....
That ever Lived...
{My Dad...}
and...my Beloved...Best Friend...Dolcey....
{I rescued her...a day or two...short..of being put down....}
I was 15...and had just moved out...on my own...
She..was One...of The Greatest...Gifts..of my Life....
When I think of Dad...in Heaven... This...is what I imagine...I will see...should I get there..
Dad...Dolcey...and All...of my Beloveds...
{I even...hope...That Old Chevy Truck...is there... with the Bad Linkage...Bald Tires...
and Smokin' Rings...}
 
Old..Dogs...
and..
Children...
and...
Watermelon Wine...
 
"Women...think about Theyselves...
When Menfolk...ain't around...
and...Friends...are Hard to Find...
when They Discover...that your Down....
He said..."I tried it all...when I was Young...and in my natural 'Prime'...
Now...it's Old Dogs...and Children...and Watermelon Wine..."
Old Dogs...Care about You....
Even when You make Mistakes....
God Bless... Little Children...
While they're still too young....to hate"....
{Tom T. Hall}
{He and Dad...would have been...Great Friends...}
 
As I sat at the Harvest Table...{That only me...and Harold...could Love...{and Ed..}
Sipping my Morning Brew....
Nicky came up to me...and gently rested his head...on my lap...
 
He is the Most...Soulful..Old Boy...
John rescued him...from the Shelter...Four years ago...
a year...after losing his Beloved...Elliot...
{A Dear Friend...had told John...about him..
John...was adamant...there would be no more Hounds...in his Life...
Too Hard..to see them...Go....}
When he got out of the car...John's first words...were...
"I Hope...He...outlives me"...
 
It was a Painful Journey...losing Old Elliot....
Nicky...was emaciated...and had been badly beaten...
He had open wounds...and scars...on his face...
One of his eyes...was damaged....
As I watched him...with John...I noticed...something...wasn't right about him...
Then...it hit me.....
As much as we Loved on him...and Praised him...
He didn't wag his tail....
I have never seen a Hound...that wouldn't wag it's tail...
It took a few days...until...he was....
Happy...
I walked into my room...this morn....to see...My Girl...
all cozy..Snooozing in Bed....
 
She...was also...rescued....
Her condition...wasn't much better than Nicky's... when she came to us....
Funny...
I think about...how very little...we do for them...
and How Very Much...
They Bring...to our Lives....
and...yes...
Truer words...were never written...
Old Dogs...
Children...
and...yes...
a little...
Watermelon Wine...
ahhhh...
The Journey...
Love...to ya...
Barb C.

2 comments:

Cindy Nutt said...

Oh yes...the love of a dog is like no other. They know when you're sick, they know when you're worried, they know when you're upset and they just love on you more! What a blessing they are! How sorry I am that both of yours were so abused--so glad they found you guys to love them back to life!

Simply Iowa said...

Yes...My Friend....
I Simply call them....
Angels...
Happy New Year!
Love to Ya!
Barb C.