Monday, December 3, 2012

Halcyon Days....

 
"Halcyon Days"
I have this...Old...Old...Etching....
Hanging on the back...of mine...and Ed's Cupboard...
so it faces..into the kitchen...
It always...gives me 'Peace'...when I take...just a moment...to gaze upon it....
{ I didn't know...what 'Halcyon'...meant...so had a friend...look it up for me...years ago...when I brought it home...{before...'Google'...: )}
It means... 'Calm...Peaceful Days'...ahhhh yes....: ) }
I remember...so...the day I found this...Huge Etching...{It's 3 feet by 4 feet...}
It was... about this time of year...14 years ago...or so...
I was headed to a Shop...in Savannah, Illinois...
I was driving...The Great White Hope...
an 81 Ford One Ton Truck... with a Million Miles on it...
{kind of like the driver...}
But...That Old Truck...was a Runner! {Miss Him!}
I Hate this route...to Illinois...
I had to cross the Mississippi..on an All Steel Bridge...
that has holes in it...and you can see the water Soooo Far...below...
and...the Bridge...is Narrow... Very...Narrow...
{my palms get sweaty...just thinking about it....}
I had...an uneasy feeling...about this trip....it was strange....
but...The Thrill of The Hunt...well... That...Over Powers...most... Anything...
a Gnarly Old... Steel Bridge...doesn't stand a chance...
It's a two hour drive...or better...getting to Savannah...
and...as I approached the Old Bridge... I slowed....way...way...down....
There was a Mist...in the air... but..like today... it was warm enough... there was no ice...
Just as I was about to the other side.... {The bridge 'T's...at a cliff...where there is a Highway....}
I pushed in the clutch...
tapped the brake...
The Truck.... locked up...and slid sideways...about 30...40...or 50... feet....
{It seemed like a Football Field!}
I tried to correct it... to no avail...
{thankfully...I was alone...on the Bridge...}
The Truck....finally grabbed hold... when it hit real pavement...at the 'T'....as cars were going busily along...the highway...in front of me...
I just sat there...at the intersection...
My Heart...in My Throat...
{all I could see...as I was helplessly sliding...was THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER...
Soooo Far... Beneath...me...and The Ford...
and Cars....Flying down the Highway...in front of us....
I Thought....We're either...Going For a Swim...or...
we are going to be Sandwiched...'T' Boned...on Both Sides...
There was No Way...I could Stop...the Ford......}
{Thank God...for Angels...}
When I reached the Antique Store.... I put my purse...on the counter...
told the Lady...working...that all of my information...is in my purse...
should I have a Stroke... and Die...
{My Heart..was Still Pounding...}
{she found 'Humor'..in this...me... Not So Much!}
I purchased a Big Load...
Sections of Iron Fence...{long...they stuck 4 feet out of the back...of the Ford}
The Massive Curved Balustrade....{that's now, in the House}
a couple of Old Cupboards... a Stained Glass Window...and...
the 'Halcyon Days' Etching...
There was just an older Lady working...I didn't want her to struggle with my stuff...
so it took me several hours to load...
The Etching...also had to be put in the back...of The Ford...{Too Big...to fit in the Cab}
While I worked... it kept getting Colder...and Colder...outside..
and the Wind...was Howling...
It...was also..getting Dark....
So...I rushed...and rushed...
Said my 'Good Byes'...and...headed back...to the Dreaded Bridge...
My hands...where White Knuckled on The Steering Wheel...
Teeth... Clenched... and...
We Made It!
{SIGH!!!!}...
It was then...just as The Ford...got his front tires...off of The Bridge... 
I remembered...I had forgotten a Cupboard....
Oh...My...Lord...
It was minutes...from 5...
I had to drive a couple miles... to turn around... then...a couple..back.. Tic Toc!
So...I attempted to turn around... on the Narrow...Guard Railed...road...that leads to The Bridge...
This was before cell phones...and I Did Not...want the Lady to Close...before I got there....
I Jacked the Ford around... almost...made it...
Then...BANG!
I had forgotten...I had four feet of Iron Fence... out the Tail...Holy Smokes!
I had hit the Guard Rail...
I straightened the Truck around...and beat feet...to Sabula...to turn around...
Then...again...I had to Cross... That Dreaded Bridge...
I crept...across it...and made it....
{Sweat...was beading on my forehead....}
I ran to the Door...of the Antique Shop...and Thankfully...she was just walking out...
oh my...
I loaded the Cupboard...
and...headed back...to The Bridge....
{You'd Think...it would be Easier....By Now...to Cross...ahhh...Not...So. Much.....}
It had started to Snow...and the Wind...was Howling....
{it was Bitter...I was nearly Frozen...after Loading the Old Cupboard....}
and...It was Slick....
I locked the Ford...into 4WD...and...crept...
{Tho...4WD doesn't help...on Ice...it made me feel better...: ) }
When I finally...got across...
I wanted to Throw Up!
The Trip Home...was an Erie...one....
It's winding....hilly...stark...and was soooo Black...Out...
I felt...so Uneasy...
I worried about The Old Etching...
kept looking in my mirror....
I had it strapped tight against the Cab...and it was Cold...so I knew...the Snow wouldn't hurt it...
About an hour...into the trip... Something... went Flying...I don't know how...I saw it..it was so dark...but...I must have looked at it...just...as it took flight...I saw...something....leave...the back of The Ford...
I really can't explain how...it happened...
I pulled over....by now...the wind...must have been at least 40 mph...It was Insane... and Freeeeezing!
I ran around the Ford......searching for it...so afraid...of what I would find....
Some How...
The Etching....
Survived....and...was still in the Truck
The Backing...was Gone....
I looked for it...but..it was So...Cold....Dark...Windy...and Slick...
I thought...I'd better let it go...
But..The Etching...Survived....
I retied...it...and...we went...on our way...
oh my...
This was definitely...Not...
a 'Halcyon Day'....
: )
Love...to ya...
Barb C.
 
{I've spent sooo Much time...
Down The Rabbit Hole...
{and...Loved It!}
It seems strange...this Morning...to get back...
To The Real World!
Mom...is still in the Hospital..
But...Doing...Better!
Peg...is having a Blast...with her Family...
In Florida!
I am Bailing into Major Projects...
all...having to be Completed...in Two and a half weeks....
{would Love...to have them All Done..and Ready to Go...
This Week!}
I have to prepare...for The Presentation...here...
Thursday Evening...as well....
oh my....: )
Thanks...Again...to Everyone...who came...and Visited The Holiday Open House...
You were Food...for My Soul... : )
Love You!}
 


No comments: