Sunday, August 8, 2021

Grind 'em 'til Ya Find 'em... Baby. Grind 'em 'til Ya Find 'em.

 : )


Made it to the Car Show...a little late.
The Town of Atkins, Iowa.. was Hoppin'!
Big Parade...and many Events.
The Car Show was Packed.
Took these pictures during The Parade.
When that was over...it was crawling with Folks!!

Gotta Tell Ya, like I've shared with So Many...Folks,
when I saw 'This Truck', I could see his 'Smile'.
<3
That...Old...Ford, has a Smile...on His Grill.
<3
: )
Ya simply can't Help...
but...
'Smile'...
 back to. 
<3
Priceless.
<3

The Ford Falcon, and T Bird...belong to Adam's Parents.
: )
They had a tent set up..just behind for shade.
Good Move.
It was 90, and Toasty.
Thank Goodness...There was a Breeze!
Whew!


Miss. Scarlett.
<3
10...going on 20!!
oh...my, She's Growin' Up...So Fast!
<3



Sat in '49 Ford...with the windows, and wing vents...open,  driver's door...too, visiting with Folks...about The Old Boy, and...Their Favorite Cars, at The Car Show.
What they had, or...wished to have.
; )
but... had to go visit This Sweet....Mach 1.
Sally, and Jethro's Kin.
<3
Liz told me to bring Jethro in...and park him in The Show.
No Way.
He needs a Bath, inside, and out.
Also...he's missing a side moulding, from behind the driver's door.
Still waiting to get that replaced.
: (
So...he would've not felt comfortable...coming to The Show...without being Slicked Up...like the Rest....of his Pals.
; )
{There were Many Beautiful Cars...and Trucks...there.
 but...
not a Single One...I'd trade, for Old...Jethro.
<3
Clean...or, Dirty.
in a 'Ball'...
for that matter.
<3 }





They had Great Music Playin' from The Pavilion...
; )
Great Food, Everywhere!!
It was Really...Fun!

The '49 Ford...was Much Admired, at The Car Show.
<3
Not another there...like the Old Boy.
<3

Adam drove The '49...from Elberon...with 2 year old Miss. Viv.
: )
{Viv won't let Adam leave without her, when she hears The '49 Fire Up.
Liz says...she always thinks of me, and my Dad....when they climb in The '49.
That's a Fact.
I was like a Wart on my Dad's Fanny, too.
 Dad took me with him Everywhere... he could.
<3
Dad's Friend's used to tease him...said they Never Thought...they'd see Marion Conner changing a baby's diapers.
: )
{Men didn't do much of That...in the mid 1960's.
They were Cloth...back then, ta Boot!
<3 }

Adam, and Viv...left home at 7 a.m.
They arrived in Atkins, at 8.
40 mph, all the way.
; ) : ) : ) 
It's about 25, or 30 miles...from Atkins.

Daughter, Liz...is working in Atkins, again...Bartending three nights a week, at Bobby T's.
She Loves it There.
They...Love Liz, Too!
'Family'.

Bobby T's got Slammed, they called, and asked her...if she could possibly come in early.
She agreed to.
We, then had to do some fancy shuffling getting the little ones home, '49 Ford...home, so she could dig the Bar...out of a Massive Landslide.

Adam, would drive the little ones home...in Liz's car....I'd drive The '49... to their home....then, bring Liz's RAV, back to Bobby T's....where I'd parked Jethro.

I, was excited...because I've only driven The '49 once.
Just through the little Town...of Elberon.

Double Clutching...takes time to get used to.
This...would be a Great Opportunity, to get acquainted with The Old...Boy.

: )

To my surprise...leaving Atkins, I slid through The '49's gears, without a Hitch!
Click! Click! Click!
: )

I grew up...driving 'Old'.
<3
They all had an issue, here and there.
Most...were pretty Tired, when we got them.
: )

Many...since Dad was a Scrapper, were heading for the Junk Yard, when we got them.
Dad...could Fix Anything. Breathe a Little Life...in to those Wonderful...Old...Workhorses.
<3
Dad...always taught me, from Day One....
'Watch those Gages. ; )  Barbie Ann.
Temp, Oil Pressure, Alternator...and,
 better keep an eye on the Speedometer, now and then...too. ; ) <3 }

Yesterday...was no different.
I, did push the Old Boy...a little hard, I suppose.
He's got more Spunk...than most would think.
: )

Got about 5 miles down the road...to the little Town, of Newhall...
glanced at the gages...
HOLY CRAP!
The Old Boy Was HOT!!
HOT!!
Whipped him around a corner...and Immediately 
SHUT HIM DOWN!!!
CRAP!!

{These Old Flathead V8's Don't Like Hot Weather.
That's The Main Reason...we didn't drive him home...from McGregor.
They are known for vapor locking in Hot Weather.
He wasn't doing That...
but...
He Was HOT!}

Called Adam, he was coming from Atkins, as well...with The Kids.
He left me with some water... all I could do...is sit, in The Ford...and wait for him to cool down, so I could get the radiator cap off....and add water.

Sat there...for about half an hour...called Friend, Sue...who we conducted the Grovert Sale for...she lives in Newhall.
I, at that point...was about as Hot...as The '49.
She was so Sad...to not be Home, or even Close.

As I was talking to her...I saw a Woman walking up the street towards me, and The '49.
Hung up with Sue, and asked the Woman...if she could tell me where the closest place would be, for me to walk to...to get cooled off, while The Ford....also...cools.

Then....as she got closer...I said... "Kim???"
She said... "Barb???"
Hahahahahaha!!!
It was Kim Dunker.
<3
Her, Sister...Brooke, was my Best Friend, when we lived at My Happy Place, on a Farm...near Keystone!!!
{1971}
Oh My Lord!!!
<3
I've Spent Many Summers, on Their Farm!
WOW!!
Hadn't Seen Her In Years!!
WOW!!
<3

We visited...there, by The '49....for a Long Time!

Then, a Couple...pulled up, beside us.
Asked if I'd run out of Fuel.
No....
told them...He's a Little Hot.
Just...letting him cool down, so I can get some water in him...see where he's leaking.

The Man...said, "when I saw This Truck...sitting here....with the hood up, told my Wife...
That's One Good Lookin' Son of a Bitch!
I want to Fix It...and Own It!"
Hahahahahaha!!!
I ROARED.
Too Funny!
: )
They got out of their Truck...checked out The Ford.
: )
That Man, 'Jamey'...was All Over The Ford!!
: )
"Does it have a Hoist?? Look at That Flathead!!! <3 <3 <3 : ) "
he went On...and On!!!
Hahahaha!
: )

They said... They'd go get more water...and we'd get the Old Boy...Goin'.
; )
Jamey, and his Darling...Wife, Ronnee,  returned with Buckets of Water, I started the '49...to take the pressure off, before Jamey...attempted to take the still...pretty warm, radiator cap off.

The '49...was Thirsty.
but...we couldn't find any leaks.
???
Thought it might be a slow leak...from the overflow... the cap...might not be doing it's job.
Things...Adam can easily fix, if I could get the Old Boy...Home.

Jamey, and Ronnee...offered to follow me, said...they'd just been visiting a Friend, and had nothing going on.
<3
So KIND!!!
<3 




So...we headed out of Newhall...towards Elberon.
They pulled around me, at the edge of Newhall...and said....we were leaving a Trail...of Water.
Said....I should follow them, to their Friend's place, a few miles, also... towards Elberon.
They'd get to the bottom of it.
<3 

Shoved the '49 into second gear...then, Double Clutched...and Double Clutched...
Was Grinding...and Grinding Gears, trying find Third...
finally...
Skipped Third...all together, Screw It!!!
Shoved him into 4th, bogged him down, chugged....chugged to get up to speed...then...Away....we went!!
: )
{Jamey said he could hear me struggling, {Grinding...Grinding....}then heard me throw The Ford into high gear, told Ronnee, "She just shoved the Ford into High Gear...Now...She's Comin' On... Strong'!!}
Hahahahahaha!
'Grind 'em... 'til Ya Find 'em... Baby.
; )
Git 'er Done.
: )
Thankfully, those Old Gears, are Mighty Tuff.
<3


Kept a close eye... watched the temp gage...slowly start to climb...again.
We made it, without The Ford getting super hot.
<3

Turns out...Jamey, and his Friend...Scott, work, and build Stock Cars.
Well...Those Boys...Know How To Work On Engines.
OH MY!
What are The Chances???
That's a God Thing!!
<3


Left to Right...
Scott, Ronnee, and Jamey.
<3
Angels.
<3

Scott, is Kin...to Arlo Becker.
He was a Legend...with Stock Car Racing, in our area.
Dad, and I...knew Arlo.
; )

Amazing.
A God Thing.

Jamey, was Still Gushing, over The Ford, his Pal...Scott, Too.
: )
Ronnee, had Obviously been around Engines...as well. : )
She climbed up on The Ford's Bumper, and was checking Everywhere...inside, under the hood...searching for a leak.

Me Too.
Just...couldn't Find Anything.

Scott, and Jamey... decided it could be a stuck thermostat. 
Pulled the hoses, indeed, one...was stuck.
They removed it.

{Had...I not have been forced...to Drive, The '49.
Had...It...not Overheated....
I, never would've Met....
 These AMAZING People. }
<3


I...do, like getting my hands dirty,  working with these Old Trucks.
<3
What's left of the thermostat.


It's still leaking...some...so...the cap...is probably the other half of it.

They filled water jugs, up for me...and we started, again...for Elberon.
They offered to follow.
<3
By then, Adam was en-route.
He could follow.
Jamey said...just give him a 'Wave'...when we meet...with Adam.
: )
About two miles towards Elberon....met Adam.

Made 'er...Home.
<3

Adam's on top of it.
He'll have The '49...up to speed, in no time.
: )

As I stood there, with Ronnee, while they were taking the hoses off...to check the Thermostats,
she said to me...
"This is the first full day, we've been anywhere."
 Jamey..had just gotten out of the hospital, the day before.
He'd been in, for two weeks.

Jamey, has stage 4 cancer.
a very Rare...form of cancer.
He has one kidney, it's full of cancer.
They are working with The Mayo Clinic, and The University Hospital, in Iowa City, they are using him in a study, 'experimenting'....because his cancer is so rare.
Jamey said...he was grateful...his cancer is so rare, he could never afford the medical bills, otherwise.

As Ronnee, was talking about their Journey, {Lost most everything in '08, with The Flood, in CR, then...a few months ago...their new home...caught on fire, they lost most everything...again.
Then...cancer.}
My heart....was So Heavy, for Them.
I, know exactly...what she's going through, where her head is at...watching someone...you so Dearly...Love, go through this...
and...
'Hope'...
is The Only...Thing, you have to hold on to.
Living...one 'moment'...at a time.


When I parked The '49, in Liz, and Adam's yard...Adam walked up to me...said, 'Quite a Day.'
: )
I, said...a GOOD Day.
: )
He, said..."An 'Eventful'...Day."
Hahahaha...
I, said...
"A GREAT Day."
<3

So Many Blessings.
<3 <3 <3 
 So Much Happiness...That Old Ford....brought to So Many...Today.
<3
That's Priceless.

Love to Ya...
Prayers, for All.

Barb C. 

{Took a short video...while I was driving the 'Home Stretch'...in The '49 Ford.
<3
Gettin' better, and better...about finding those gears. 
: )
Also...found a Tune, from '49...that seemed fittin'.
I'll post them above.
I like playing them both...at the same time.
No radio...in The '49.
Kinda Like... 'Double Clutchin'. ; )

There was, once....a Radio...in The '49...Adam tell's me.
The '49...Is Beautifully...Originally... Loud...so...
my little Bose, will have to be It's Next...'Speaker'.
: )
<3

I offered to pay Jamey, Ronnee, and Scott...for Their Work, Time...Kindness.
They wouldn't Consider It. 
<3
REAL People. 
When I sign off with 'Prayers for All'...I Mean It.
Even 'city hall, and district 6' 
It's 'All'...about The Journey.
Proven...again...today. }


No comments: