Monday, April 1, 2024

The Old... Souls.


Received a call from a Gal... this morning, that's hunting for a table, for her entryway.
I... don't have anything, like what she's hunting... right now, but gave her many, many... wonderful places throughout our area to check.
; )
The Gal... said, she's collected antiques for decades, but... if she can't find something 'Old'...
she's going to go with something new.
{uh oh. }
; )

We chatted for a long time, oh...dear.
Told her, that.... I'd never tell her what to do, but...
: )
When it comes to 'new'... verses 'old'...
: )
Especially...
 when a Home is filled with 'Old Souls', 
yeah...
'They' don't 'Dance Well'... with 'new'.
; )

and, after all...
 'Hunting' Antiques, is The Best Part of The Journey!!
: )
She Agreed!!!
<3

Made me think... about some of the Old Souls, here.
Told the Gal... 
It's All About The Details.
Ya can't find the 'details'....
the
'Soulfulness'... 
in something that's been stapled together, power nailed...
created....
from fiberboard, or... even newly harvested real lumber.

Told her about the Old... 6 foot Walnut Harvest Table, in the dining room, I bought from Pal, Harold, many, many... years ago.
It has a two board top.
 One board... is 22 inches wide, the other... 12 inches.
Native Iowa Lumber.
It dates from the 1840's... I'd guess.
All... wooden pegged together.
I Guarantee Ya, 'IT'... wouldn't 'Dance' well...
with something mass produced, from a 'box store'.
; )
Ya can't find Lumber, like that... anymore.
We don't have Trees big enough, anymore.

I paid 250. for that Table, back then.
It was a LOT... considering, it had a Huge Swayback, from holding a Ton of Weight, over the last many years of it's life, before Harold... found it, in Southern Iowa.
: )
John, somehow... got the Massive Bow, out of the Old... Harvest Table.
: )
{He'd never tell me 'How'... he managed That. : ) }

Walked through the house, after the conversation... with the Gal.
Pulled a few drawers, on a few... pieces.
<3

Had to clean out the drawer, above... to get a picture of the drawer bottom.
It's from an Early... Walnut Stand.
I... remember the day I found it, at an Antique Shop, in Iowa... along The Mighty Mississippi.
<3
Pal, Julie... was with.
: )
That was a GREAT Day!!!
We Used to Have So Much Fun!!!
; )
{I'll bet that was, about 30 years ago. Wow. ; ) }
When I pulled that little drawer, and saw the Maker's Mark, from 1854, and Amazing Craftsmanship...
{No 'power tools' back, 'Then'... Baby!! ; ) 
It Was All Over!!!}
<3
; )


The Construction... 
Oh My!!!
<3
Hand Dovetailing....
The Scribe Marks.
<3


The Empire Highboy....
: )
1830's... 40's, or 50's.
<3
{paid... a couple hundred for it, at an Estate Sale, Friend's were conducting, a few years ago.
 Can pull each drawer, with one hand.
Try that, with a 'new' piece of furniture.}



Amazing.


Found the 1840's Cherry Chest of Drawers, at an Estate Sale, long ago.
Paid... around 65. for it.



<3
Paid... more, than I'd hoped to... for The Above.
{don't mind the dust. : ) }
It was at Hoge's Auction, in Central City, Iowa.
Decades ago.
I... couldn't attend, so left a bid, with The Clerk.
<3
Marvel!!
<3
Don't remember how many times I called Marvel, during the auction... that night...
Raising my Bid... before it Sold!!
Hahahahaha!!!
Marvel, said... "Thank God Ya Did!!... 
You Would've LOST It, without that 'last'... Call!!!"
<3 <3 <3 
{Marvel... Is The Best!! Her Dad, Orvie... was a Dear Friend, of my Dad. 
Orvie was also a Clerk, for one of our Favorite Auctioneers... back in the day.
; )
Dad, would leave me at Farm Auction's... to bid on Scrap Iron Piles, from when I was about 7.
 Dad would go on to other Auctions, to buy.
Dad, would tell Orvie... to be sure, and keep an eye on me, because... I'd be doing 'his' bidding.
; )
Orvie... Never Missed my Bids.
; )
of course, He Couldn't!!!
: )
I'd Stand Right Next to Orvie, and the Auctioneer.
Front... and Center.
 'Serious as Death'.

'Missing' my 'bids'... would've been very difficult.
: )
<3}



<3
Huge... Single Dovetail.
Love seeing those 'scribe marks'.


Took a tumble, down the stairs... last night.
: (

I'd just fixed a little plate, of 'Supper'... 
piled it on one of my FAVORITE...
little brown transferware platters.
<3
Tiny... little Daffodil Platter.
: (

probably... 
could've saved myself, had I not been trying so hard...
to
SAVE...
that tiny... 
little... 
1870's... 
 platter.
<3
: (
{Call me 'Grace'. }
; )

It's been about 6 years to the day, I took a 'tumble' down 'stairs'.
; )
Didn't 'break' anything... 
 but... 
a Wonderful... Little Platter,
this time.
Wasn't chasing IDOT/Fairfax...  'records'... this time, either.
or, 'doing laundry'.
; )
Was bouncin' downstairs to watch Andy Griffith. 
An episode I've probably seen a hundred times. 
Yeah... Boy. 
; )


Grateful... to be alive, after that 'tumble'.
Was told, by several... Dr.'s that few survive such a 'fall'.

Grateful... to So Many over the last many years.
<3
Blessings.
<3 <3 <3 

Love to Ya...
Prayers for All.

Barb C.


No comments: