Monday, June 20, 2022

Memories.


Went to spend Father's Day with Son, Justin...and Son in Law, Adam...and Family, yesterday.
Picked up a Pile of Grub...and had quite a Feast.
; )

Did a lot of thinking...and remembering, while visiting.
It was a pretty day.

When I got home, couldn't shut my brain down.
Kept thinking about Dad.
All of the struggles.

When I was five...Mom, and Dad divorced.
Money was tight.
There was none...really.
 Very, very...little.
Dad, was homeless.
He slept in his old Truck.
On the weekends, he'd come get me...and rent a Hotel Room, for us.

We always stayed at The Magnus Hotel, or Taft...Hotel, in Cedar Rapids.
Both Hotel's were Beautiful.
I'm sure...outdated, even back then...but, I thought they were Incredible.
<3

There were old, old...cage elevators in The Magnus, don't remember if The Taft had the same, or not.
Very noisy...a little scary.
; )

The hallway to our room...was tall, and narrow.
The rooms also had tall ceilings. 10-12 feet tall...I'd guess.
Each room, had a tall door, with a transom window...above the door.
Some transom windows would be open, to other rooms, I noticed...when we'd walk down the long, tall...narrow corridors, I'd know...there were other people...in those rooms.

There was only one bathroom, on each floor, we all had to share.

It must have been one of the most difficult times, in Dad's life...but, I never knew it.
: )
He always made 'Life'...an 'Adventure'.
<3
Just being with Dad...meant 'contentment', where ever...'we'd' be.
Being Together, was Enough.
; )

Dad never knew a 'Stranger'. : )
He made Friends, quickly...everywhere we went.
<3

At The Magnus, there was a Lovely...Elderly Woman, who was always at the front desk, the weekends Dad, and I stayed.
; )
On one of the visits there, she gave me the above Doll.
<3
I didn't have any Dolls. 
We always had Critters.
<3
Who needs a Doll, when you have Wonderful..Living, Best Pals.
<3
The Critter's went away, when Dad, and Mom divorced.

I've always cherished That Doll.
<3

{Took the Dolly...out of Mom's China Cabinet...this morning, and held her in my hands.
It's been a Long, Long...time, since I've held her.
Too long.}
<3

Priceless.

All of the Men...who were on the floor, Dad and I were...were always so kind.
I remember Dad visiting with them, often...talking about Old Times, when they were kids.
: )

Dad would take me to The Dragon Restaurant, for Suppers, and The Butterfly Cafe, for Breakfasts.
<3
{Dad ordered Chop Suey, at The Dragon. Always. His Favorite!!
Egg's Over Easy...at The Butterfly. ; )
Dad must've spent nearly every penny he made, during the week...over those weekends.}

We'd sometimes... go to the movies, in the evenings. Sometimes...we'd go fishing, by The Cedar River.

I'd 'Live'...for The Weekends, with Dad.
oh my.
<3

Over the years, Mom, and Dad...would get back together, life...would be good, for a while, until it wasn't...

All of it, all over....again.
oh my.

The strange thing, is...I don't have many bad memories, of my childhood.
That's credited...I, know...
to
Dad.
<3

Loved my Mom, so did Dad.
<3
Always.
Some things...just don't work.

When I was driving to Justin's...a tune came to mind...my favorite, from when I was little.
When I arrived at Justin's... Adam, brought up that Very TUNE!!
I...couldn't Believe It!!
; )

That Tune... came out...during another 'split', between Mom, and Dad.
1971.

At that time...I had another Pony, Dad...bought me.
His name was Joe.
Dad, had me during the summer, that year...a lot.
<3
Dad hired an Elderly Lady...in Shellsburg, Iowa...to watch over me...while he worked. Her home was near where Dad was cleaning up a Massive Amount of old Farm Machinery.
Took most of the Summer, to scrap it all.

Where the Lady lived, in Shellsburg, I could keep Joe.
<3
Used to ride him to what was, 'The Lazy 'H' ' Saloon.
; )
I'd tie Joe out front, and with quarters, Dad gave me...I'd sit there...and play my Favorite Tune.
'Take Me Home Country Roads', on the Jukebox, over, and over.
; )
Those poor Ladies, that worked there..must've nearly lost their Mind's...when they'd see me come in.
They all...were So Kind.
<3
The Lazy 'H', was also... a Cafe.
Had Great Food, and Pie!!!
; )
I didn't want to spend my 'Music'...money, on food, tho.
; )
I'd just sit there....in the side booth, next to the Jukebox... listening.
Soakin' It All...In. 
<3

Wasn't long...on many of mine, and Joe's Visits...
a slice of Pie...would 'appear'...that they'd made some... 'mistake'...with.
  : )
Sometimes...a 'mistaken'...order of Fries, or Burger.
<3 <3 <3 

God...I Love Iowa.
<3
Small Town...
Iowa.
<3

'Memories'



Love to Ya.
Prayers, for All.

Barb C.

{ to those, who somehow...like to 'Think'..children are 'resilient', 'They'll Get Over It'...ya better 'Think', again.}



No comments: