Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Tuesday... Tuesday. Another Glorious October Tuesday!! {Thinkin' Christmas.... oh, dear.}


The Crazy Weatherman, said today.. was gonna be Soggy!
; )
He... was Wrong!!
: ) : ) : )

Picked up the Big... Old, Oak Double Fireplace Mantle, John refinished... seems like a Million Years ago...
now.
It's been about 20 years, since I laid eyes, and hands on it.
; )

Friend, Jerry... {Brownie}... and his Wife, bought it from us, back in the day.
: )
Jerry was a 'Ring Man' for one of my Favorite Auctioneers, 
Tom Sanderfeld, Marengo, Iowa.
: )
Had to share one of my Favorite... 'Auction' Stories, with Jerry's Daughter, this afternoon.
: )
Her Dad, Jerry... was directly 'Involved'.
Oh... dear.
; )
<3

Jerry knew what a Freak I was... {am} about...Early Iowa Farm Cupboards.
He'd seen me buy them... Many... of them, over the years.
; )
When Tom.. got a Farm Auction, not far from Fairfax, Jerry called me.
Asked me if I'd want to take an early peek, at the items that were going to be selling.
I, gratefully... took Jerry up on his offer.
; )
There was a FABULOUS... Old, Old...Old... Farm Cupboard, in one of the outbuildings.
The scary part... was, the outbuilding was falling in.
The Old...Cupboard, was literally holding the roof of the outbuild up.
{I'd be risking Life, and Limb... to Save the Wonderful Old Cupboard.
; )
Done Deal!!
Had...to Have It!! }
: )

Figured I could get it bought... for a Song, being the precarious predicament it was in.
; )
but...
 was...
 Willing to Bid Strong for It.
<3
That Cupboard... was The Only Reason.... I went to The Auction, that day.

But...Wound up buying a Ton... of Stuff, early that morning at the Auction, I hadn't seen before.
Wasn't out... during the 'walk through', with Jerry.
{Chicken Nests... Feeders... Troughs... a LOAD!! Way More, than the little Ford I used to drive... back then... could haul.}
Had to call John, and ask him if he'd bring the Car Trailer.
<3
: )

{That... Always made John So 'Happy'... when I 'had' to make 'Those' 'Calls'...
; )
Wasn't Often.
: )
Hahahahahaha!!
'Farm Auction's' weren't John's Favorite Thing to Do... on a 'Saturday'
or... any 'Day'!!!! }
; )

Wasn't long... and, in pulled John, with the Truck, and 18 foot Trailer.
<3
John even started loading, as I kept Buying!!!
<3 <3 <3 

Tom {Auctioneer} made an announcement... shortly after John arrived,
he was 'Splitting Rings'.
Tom... was going to Sell 'Machinery'.
{Tractors, Combines, Wagons, etc.}
The Back Up Auctioneer would take over... at The House, and Chicken Sheds.
I walked up to Tom, and asked him if he was 'ONLY' selling Machinery.
{The decrepit Shed, the Old Cupboard was in, was on the way to where The Machinery was lined up.}
Tom... made an announcement with my question... on his mic.
"Folks... I'm ONLY Selling Machinery."
: )

So... I went back to the Household, and Chicken Sheds.
About 10 minutes after they Split Rings, I...got this Sick Feeling, in the Pit of my Stomach.
Started walking towards the pasture, where The Machinery was lined up... in Many Rows.
then...
 broke into a Trot.
{Panic... for some reason...was setting in.}
As I was Trotting, ran into Jerry, who was bringing back a few 'Sold' Sheets, to the Clerks, from 
'The Machinery'.
I asked Jerry...
'Blurted'... really,
"They didn't sell that Old Cupboard... did they, Jerry???"
Jerry said, "Yes!! Where Were Ya?? Tom sold the shed, and contents for 'One Money'."

As Comedian, Ron White... would say,
"Fade.... to Black".
: ( : ( : (

Stood there, for a moment.. 'Frozen'... really.
Turned around, started walking to where the Clerk was, I was going to pay...
and Be GONE.
instead...... 
took about 5 steps, turned back, around...
and headed for Tom, The Auctioneer... who was surrounded by a Crowd, while selling a Tractor.
I... wasn't 'walking'... I was STOMPING.
The Ground...Was Shaking.

Never had to excuse myself, The Sea of People... surrounding Tom, PARTED, long before I got close to them.
then...
found myself Nose, to Nose... with Tom, who was in the middle of 'Selling'.
Tom... got a puzzled smile, on his face... and slowly went silent.

"Something wrong?"
: )

ALL... 
I could Muster to Say... was,
"You'd Better Learn What's 'Machinery'... and What 'Ain't'."

{Just then, through the bitter silence... heard two Farm Ladies... whisper,
"What did she say???" the other replied...
"He'd better learn what's machinery... and what ain't."}
Oh....dear.
: ( : ( : (

Turned around... Stomped Back... to The Clerk, paid the bill...
saw John, standing beside the Trailer, casually... smoking a Lucky...
; )
 and started LOADING EVERYTHING he hadn't gotten to, myself.
God Help...Anyone, Close to the Trailer.
I had the Strength of 10 Men.

Got everything strapped down, followed John, Home... then, asked him if he'd like to go to Dinner, at Texas Roadhouse.
We Both... Needed a Massive Prime Rib.

John... Deserved One, for coming with The Trailer, and I needed one, for all of the Spent Energy.

As we were waiting for food, oh my Lord... my Feet were Killing Me!!
Throbbing!!!
Told John...it must be from All of That Stomping!!
: ( : ( : (.......

The next day... I really felt bad, for Barking... at Tom.
: (
He...was my Favorite Auctioneer, on The Planet.
<3
Such a Good, Kind...  Honest Man.
<3
Knew... there was a good explanation.
He didn't know... I wanted that Old Cupboard, you never share with any Auctioneer, what you're going to be bidding on. The 'Good' Ones... Don't Want to Know.
: )

 Looked in Sunday's paper, to see where Tom's next Saturday Auction...would be.
I... owed Tom an apology.
Not over the phone.
 Face to face.
'Nose to Nose'.

It was on a Farm, near Marengo, Iowa.
Not one thing there, I'd want... except, to see Tom.

As I was walking up the long Farm Drive... saw Tom, walking towards me.
: )
He stopped... put his arms over his face... and said...
{Jokingly : ) }
"Are Ya Gonna Hit Me!!??"
: )
<3
Told him, 'No'...and, how very Sorry I was. 
<3
Tom, said... he'd made the mistake.
Another Bidder stopped him, as they were walking to the Machinery, and asked him...if he'd quick sell... that shed.
He did.
Tom said... he had No Idea, I was waiting for that Cupboard.
: )
<3
I... knew that was The Truth.
<3

Tom, Graciously... accepted my apology.
: )
<3

I'd done... what I needed to do, turned to walk back down the lane... and head Home, when I heard someone call out to me.
 Stopped...
saw a Man, I didn't know, waving his hand.
He asked me if I buy Old Cupboards.
Told him, I do.
He said... he had a couple I might like.
 Gave me his phone number.
; )
Called him, a few days later.
Went to his Home... in Cedar Rapids, where he had 'THEE' Cupboard, I'd Missed, by Fairfax...
 and... a BETTER ONE.
Holy Smokes!!!
The Man sold them BOTH to me, for less than I was willing to pay for the 'One'... I missed, and....
 didn't have to DIG it Out!!
<3
: )
{The Man told me... 'THAT' was Quite a Trip... getting The Cupboard Out.
 The Building went Down... around their Ears!!
: (
The Old Cupboard... was basically... Holding The Shed UP!!}
GADS!!!

Learned Many, Many...Lesson's, through that Sandersfeld Auction.
<3
Many.
: )
They All Started... with 'Jerry'.
: )
<3

Stopped by, another Dear Pal's.... This Beautiful October Tuesday!!
; )

Gonna be Selling his AMAZING Victorian Iron Fence, for him.
: )
There's about 130 feet, including 
 The Incredible Curved Entry Pieces.
<3


<3

<3


Oh... Dear!!!
; )
<3
If it doesn't Sell... before, we'll be taking it All...
to 
Des Moines.
; )
Junk Jubilee Jingles!!


{WOW!!! Talk About 'Making' a Christmas Booth!!!}
Evergreen... Draped, Holy.... Smokes!!
<3
Jerry's Beautiful... Double Mantle, as Well.
<3

What FUN.... Decorating a Mantle, for Christmas...
Will Be!!!
Been a Long, Long... Time.
: )

Love to Ya...
Prayers for ALL.

Barb C.

No comments: