Monday, November 12, 2012

The Mountain and Star Quilt.... It's All about the Details...

The Boys and I made a long overdue...delivery..of an Old Cupboard...to a Very...Sweet Girl.... today...
She has a Darling Store...in Amana, Iowa...
{'Amazing Grace' {next to The Bakery!}
Sandy..is...Amazing...
Love Her!
She has a Wonderful Eye...for...'Old...Things'....
After the Old Cupboard was situated...and the Boys...headed Home...
I did a little Shoppin'!
I spied this...{dare I say it...?}
'Amazing'...Vintage Quilt!
Sandy said it came from Edina, Minnesota.....
Holy Smokes...
She pointed out...the old repairs....
but...all...my eyes could see...was The Incredible...QUILTING!!!!
When she helped me hold it out...I also noticed it's unusual size....
It's nearly 8 feet long...and 5 and a half feet wide....
{I have No Business... buying another quilt....}
I gotta tell ya...
It was Love...at first sight!
 Sandy's prices...are always so reasonable....
{To have a Quilt...done...today...with this kind of work... well...my Bank Account... would never be rich enough... ever... The Hours...and Hours...that went into this.... oh my...}
I HAD to Have It!!!!!
It was All...about The Details...
This Old Darling...has the Most Intricate Stitching....I have Ever Seen!
{And... LOVE the Old Repair!!!}
{I do...have one other Trapunto Quilt...that...has finer stitching...and quilting....
but...these Old Darlings are So Few...and Far Between...
with...condition issues...left by the wayside...
These...are a Work of Art!....}
I Love the Back...as Much as the front...
Wowza!
There is 'Something'...about holding...Old...old... Things... in my hands...
I can't put it into words...
When there is this much Love...Thought and Talent...put into a piece...
Age... Years.... Magnifies...the Intensity....of the 'Feel'...
It's almost...like they have a voice...of their own....
A Whisper...
Gentle...yet...so very... Powerful....
I scanned through my Favorite Quilt Book...
{'The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt in America' Published in 1935} this afternoon...
 the closest pattern...I could find... would be a Mountain and Star...variation....
I need to do more research....
It was Much Fun...shopping at Amazing Grace... I haven't been out and about...at all...
This...put a little Wind...in My Sails!
{Thanks...Sandy... : ) }
Hope you all had a Little Wind...in Your Sails... today...
Love to Ya!
Barb C.
{When in the area...and hunting Textiles...and Antiques...in general.... be sure..and check out Sandy's Shop 'Amazing Grace'...... and...'Fern Hill'... in South Amana.... Holy Smokes! A Quilters Dream!!! {They carry Incredible Vintage...and New...Locally, Hand Made Quilts...as well...}
 All of the Amana Colony Shops...are Great...!
and...Ever Changing! 
A Fun...Locally Owned...and Operated... Area!!!}
 
 
 
This Quilt...is So...Lovely... I just sat...and stared at it... after I spread it over the front...of the Old Dairy Cupboard.... {the yellow you see..are shadows... it's... White...and Blue....} oh my...
but... I wouldn't care...about a stain...or many...
a hole...or many...
a repair...or many...
The Quilting... is... out of this...World....
The 'Hand Work'... oh my...
There are Plumes.... quilted throughout.... oh my....
oh...my...
Seriously.... I so... Wish...you could All...see this...in person.... I am Amazed...at this Quilting...
yep....my knees...are weak... Old Lace... Old Quilts...Old Cupboards... Old Clocks....
yep....they...Drop Me!

2 comments:

Patti said...

Beautifully said- tears in my eyes! the love of a friend, the love of a quilt, the love of time spent in Amana- all said.

Simply Iowa said...

Awww...Thanks...Patti...
Tho...it was a quick visit...
After I paid the Boys...
I insisted they...trott over to The Bakery...and pick out a Treat...
The Amana's are so close...yet...seems I don't get there enough...
The Colonies have so much...to offer...
Local Artists...Great Food...and Some of the Best Antiquing... anywhere...all set...in This Wonderful Old... German Settlement...
I need to spend more time...there...and take the Kids... They would enjoy it...
Love to Ya...
Barb C.