Wednesday, November 21, 2012

"A Kentucky Girl's Pumpkin Pie"... Pies... are making their way...into the Oven!

It's been a Long Day!
Just now...getting things prepared...for Thanksgiving Dinner...
Mom was taken to the Hospital...around Midnight... I spent time with her...and on the phone with Family...and Physicians...most of the day...
She is stable...and...I think...hope...she is going to be fine...
but...it's been a scary day...
I picked up what I needed....{that I forgot...yesterday...} on my way home... tonight...
then...Whipped up this 1880's Recipe...
It called for a LOT...of Brandy... {I got a Buzzzzz... just tasting it...whew! Those Southern Gals!!!
 oh my!}
I sent a text to my friend, Ed...with the recipe...and said I was making the 'Yankee' version....
One Wine Glass Full of Brandy...for The Pie...
One... for the Pastry Chef!!!!
: )
{These Iowa Girls... Oh My!!!}
I'm thinking about making an Apple Pie... and...I still have all the dips to do...and Veggies...
but... I can do that...in the morn...
My Old Oven...can only handle...two...of the Big Pies...at a time...
 
I LOVE...this Old Stove...have had it...for several years...
 {thanks...Cindy {Lady Bug Antiques}...for selling it to me....}
It is Wood/Gas Combination... but...we don't use the 'wood' side... The Top Oven...is gas... no pilot...no thermometer.... but... you get used to it...
The Kids...even learned on it... It's a Good Old...Stove...
and Sure Loves to Sing...on Holidays!!! 
I have all of The Cast Iron Pots...ready...and waiting...to make Mashed Potatoes...Sweet Potatoes... Gravy.... and...my Very...Very...Special...Dressing!!! { I make several quarts of that...and send it home...for the Kids... They LOVE IT!}
I'd better get Crackin'!
See Ya in The Morn!
Happy Thanksgiving Eve!
Love to Ya!
Barb C.
Just got the pies done...and prep work... it's almost Midnight...
I can't get Mom...off of my mind...
I know...in my Heart...I have done...all I can... for her...
and...have put her...in The Father's Hands...
She Knows...The Lord....
He's Holding her... I know...
He's...Holding...me...too....
 


2 comments:

summersundays-jw said...

Hope you can relax & enjoy this day. So sorry about your mom....hope she's feeling better today. Your pies are beautiful. Happy Thanksgiving! Jan

Simply Iowa said...

Thanks...Jan...
There was no relaxing...today...
It was...a Most...Difficult Day...
Most...
I nearly...bailed in the car...and...ran away...
{maybe...I should have...}
There is Much...to be Thankful for... and...I need...to remember..that...
Hope You...had a Lovely...Thanksgiving...my...Sweet Little Friend...
Love to ya... : )
Barb C.