Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The 'One'...that got away...

This is a Long..and Twisted Tale...so...know this, before you start...reading...
Long ago...in a far away Land...there sat...a Little Antique Shop...on the curve of the road....
A nice lady meandered, through the doors...named, Susie...one Sunny Day...
Susie was a Sweet Girl... She had a dear friend, she explained, that hailed from Southern Iowa.... where his Family Farm was Homesteaded....back in the mid 1800's...His Great...Great...Grandparents started out, in a Sod House...on the Prairie....
 In the latter part of the 1800's, they built a Big Farm House...moved everything...from the Soddy, into the 'New House'...then...some 60 years later...boarded that house up...with the contents...untouched... and left it...another, 60, plus years... then...one day, decided to doze the Old House down...with everything inside...
Susie, tho not an Antique person, was so concerned about losing all of the History... convinced the Family, there may be value, in the contents...they allowed her, to try and sell some of the  Treasures, that had been locked away...for so many decades...
When Susie shared her story, with me...I guided her, through the Old House...in my mind....told her what to look for...and be sure....and rescue...
Any Old Cupboards...for Sure....
Susie gathered all sorts of Great things...and I purchased most of them....the Family kept some... I  purchased a letter...written by the daughter, of the First Family...that told of her Journey, out West...back in the middle part of the 1800's..along with several images of the family...
There was an Old Cupboard, that came from the Original Soddy...but, she had let a friend have it...and it wasn't for sale...
I pined...about that cupboard...having never seen it...It still..somehow...Haunted me... and we talked about it...every time Susie, would come by....
I used to go Antiquing with my Friends, Linda, and Gary...back then...{they aren't in the business anymore...} They each, separately...told me, of a cupboard...in an Antique Mall, in Cedar Rapids...it wasn't for sale...but they loved it so....and one day...we all stopped there, together....
As we entered the Shop... we scattered, like mice....attempting to find the Best Chunk of 'Cheese'... I walked straight...to a Huge... Ox Blood Painted... Walnut Cupboard...I nearly dropped... it was priced so reasonably...I immediately bought it...
When we all met at the check out.... their jaws dropped.... They both said..."That is The Cupboard...but...but...it wasn't for sale..."...
Guess the owner decided to sell... and I was Very...very...Happy....
I called Sweet Susie...the next day... and told her, I could now...stop Pining...I found the Most amazing Old...Old...Cupboard....and would let the Sod House Cupboard...rest.... I was so excited...I described it to her...and...to my surprise...she was silent...
Susie said..." Barb...that's the Cupboard....That's the Cupboard...I sold to my friend..."...
Then...I went...Silent...
Susie was so happy...I got it... I put all the images and letter...with the Old Beauty....
It was a permanent fixture...Down the Rabbit Hole...
Sadly...I couldn't get it in the house...too tall...
Over a decade passed... The Old Cupboard... was coveted by many...{I even priced it, once... but the husband didn't like it...so...it stayed...Thank God! } and was Never for sale again....
Years passed......I met these Boys from Texas...they came meandering through...one day...{Ed and Michael...} We became Fast Friends! They stopped by...the Rabbit Hole...on their trips North...Ed Loved...the Sod House Cupboard so...and with every trip.... Begged me to sell it to him...
Nope... not for sale....
Until....{the stars must have been perfectly aligned...} on one of their visits...as they were leaving....Ed...once again...pleaded with me...He said how very much he Loved it...and promised...to never sell it...it would be Perfect...in his Kitchen....
I stood back...{I had always felt bad...it wasn't in my Home... where it so deserved to be...and...never would be... I could see...the Love, for it...in Ed's eyes... I let it go....
The 'One'...that got away...
But...The Story doesn't end, there....
As my friend, Gary, {the above 'Gary'...} was selling out....7 or 8 years ago... I was helping him... He had some Amazing Furniture...{expensive Painted Country Furniture}I called Libby, from Heart of Country...and asked for a booth, for him, that I would set, and display, for him...She was Happy to have us...
Gary had an Amazing Cupboard...I had wanted so...but...it was priced..close to 4000.00...Way...Way...out of mt league.... but oh my...I soooo Loved that Cupboard... It was the talk of the show.... Ox Blood Paint...Wirecloth... in the plank doors...The 'Walking Tour'...at the Show..talked about that cupboard...for 10 minutes... oh my.... I saw a man, Longingly... looking at it, during the show....and intensely visiting with Gary about it...I was sure...by the look in his eyes...he was going to own it...but...to my surprise...it didn't happen...then...a woman walked up....and bought it... But...when she saw the repair, that was made, on the back feet... she tore up her check...I felt so sorry for Gary...but...secretly...I was kind of happy....I could enjoy it...for a bit longer....
When Gary and I got back to Iowa... he shot me a wonderful price...on the Old Darling...and would even trade...on it all...for things, he liked, that  I had...
I was Over the Top Happy!!!
However...I have to sell... I wanted to put it right in the house...but...knew..I had to try and sell it first.... {Bills...Bills..Bills...}
So...I proudly displayed the Old Beauty...and a nice couple came in...and tried and tried to get me down on price....or trade....something they had... I did my best to work with them...but..my Love was so strong for the Old Cupboard...I wasn't going to bend...much...{it was priced...far..far...less than what Gary had on it..}
The Husband...was so angry with me..that I wouldn't trade... he stormed out...
That is when...I decided to pull the tag...and put it in the house....
It Belongs...here...
But...this..isn't the end of the Story...{I told you...it was a long...and Twisted Tale!}
On one of the Boy's Northern Trips....we went running...as we always do...to all of the Shops..in the area... Ed and I were visiting....while driving between destinations...he asked me...what cupboard I have...that is my very Favorite... I told him, that's so hard to say... It's like choosing your favorite Pet.... I said...I guessed..it would have to be...The Old Ox Blood Painted Food Cupboard... and I described it...a bit...He went silent...then said...:That used to be my Cupboard...it was in my House...and..in a weak moment...I sold it".... I said, bursting out laughing....  "You Liar!...you are pulling my leg!!! You Never Owned that Cupboard!!!! Describe it to me!..." To my surprise...he knew...every detail...of the Old Cupboard.... for Ed...it was the 'One'.....that got away...
Ed was the Man...visiting with Gary..at Heart of Country....I didn't know him, then...He wanted it back...but couldn't meet Gary's price.... I nearly...nearly...dropped...Ed shared some of the Old Cupboards travels, with me...it has criss crossed the United States...in the last 20 years... he didn't know where it landed, after Heart of Country...
Now...he knows...the 'rest of the story'...
After all of the years...I had known Ed...he had no idea...how close...he came to  be, to his old friend...with every trip...down the Rabbit Hole...
He and Michael, had even been in the house...but...it was in my bedroom...{the True...Rabbit Hole...and no one...gets in my Bedroom!}
I told him, I'd bring it to the dining room, so he could visit it...he said...:" I won't tell anyone about the whips and chains...in your room"...{ very...funny... My Bedroom...in those days... was a mega mess... everything...from bookwork...to work projects... no more!} {trust me...there are No Whips...or Chains!!! nor...have there Ever been!!!!}
But...I brought the Old Darling out to the Dining Room for him......for a 'Sweet Hello'.... and Loved it so much, with Mine, and Harold's Table...{another....long...story!}here, it stays!
Ed made me promise...to sell it to him, should I decide to....
Of Course I will...
So, now...I lovingly refer to it. as "Mine...and Ed's Cupboard..."
The End!

7 comments:

Kari from Meadowview Farm said...

Kismet! That is what this story is all about...kismet.
Kari

Simply Iowa said...

Kismet... would be Correct! {Fate}...
I have had several, events like this...in my life...
This...is maybe...the most Twisted one... that spanned over many years....
I guess...that's why I never worry...too much...
Seems...what goes around....truly..comes around..and it all comes out...in the end...
Yes...it Truly does...
Thanks for taking the time...to read it...Kari...
and have a Most...Wonderful Day!
Barb C.

summersundays-jw said...

Great story & I certainly understand why you're all so in love with the cupboard. It's amazing.

Leftovers Antiques said...

I gotta tell ya, ya got me! Tears rolling down, reading and listening to Adele. Wonderful!

Simply Iowa said...

Ahhh...I know...
This song...touches me...to my core.... my soul...
and...it has brought me to tears...many...times...
I'm happy...you have the Sod House Cupboard... I Know...how Happy He is There...with you...
I also know...how Happy... 'Old Red', is...with me...
As you would say...
"It's All...Good..."
Love, to Ya... : )

Marion, Ia, Park Place Antiques said...

Barb you do should write this as book from the cupboars point of view
The cupboard telling its story. Have ypu ever read the secret lives of dresses? Great book

Simply Iowa said...

Yes...I should...
Seems...we carry on...with many conversations, anyway...They are Amazing...Soulful...listeners...
They can speak right to my heart...when they say nothing at all....
Barb C