Monday, August 31, 2020

The Boxer.

 Received a call, from my Dear...Friend, Allyson, yesterday...
before Jethro, and...me, found the Road.

Allyson, is a Psychiatrist...I met her through 'The Rabbit Hole', many, many....years ago.
She has a Love...of 'Old', and 'Soulfulness'. <3 We became fast Friends. 
I've traveled with her, over many miles. <3 
She's Graciously, Generously... Invited me, to ride along...on several of her Vacations.
New Orleans, Santa Fe, The Outer Banks, Smokey Mountains....and, more.
I, often tease her....and say... "I know the only reason you invite me to go with...: )
You're writing a Book, and I'm your 'Study Subject' ; ) 
I Expect Royalties, after you Publish It!" : ) 
She's been Such a Gift...in my life. John's too. <3 John, adored...her. <3

Allyson, offered to lend a hand, cleaning up.....around here. <3
She...also, wanted to know...how 'Things' are going...'around here'.
oh my.
{She's in 'Disbelief'...too : ( }
As we visited, Muhammad Ali, came to mind.
I, wasn't sure...Allyson would know much about 'Boxing'.
but...
She Did.
: )

My Dad...was a Boxer, when he was in his late teens, and early 20's.
He Loved....the Sport.
He was a 'Hot Dog'....in Southern Iowa....back, in the Day..
but....
when he rode the rails, to Denver...to find his Dad, and, hopefully convince him, to help out Dad's Grandparents, who had raised him, as they were losing their Farm, during the Depression, 
Dad, 'Boxed'...there, to earn some cash.
Dad, soon learned, he wasn't in Iowa...anymore.
Those Men...in Denver, were pretty Stout. ; )
{and, no....Dad's, father....didn't help...his Parents. : ( They lost the Farm. }

Dad...Loved..... Cassius Clay, later...'Muhammad Ali'. 
I remember Dad, talking about the 'Sonny Liston/Cassius Clay' Fight, often.
: )
{I bought an old, unused ticket, for that Fight, several years...after Dad...passed away, at an Auction.
I had it framed....loved looking at it, and thinking...how Much, I would've Loved....to have given it to Dad, when The Fight, was happening.
Sadly, the Ticket disappeared, when our Kid's were Teens. 
Loads of People, always coming...and going. : ( }

As I was talking to Allyson, I brought up...Ali's Fighting Tactics, in his later years.
I've watched So Many...Ali Fights, with my Dad. <3
The 'Rope a Dope'.
; )
I'd sit there..next to Dad, watching Ali, lay...on the Ropes, Take Such Brutal Beatings...
then, when his opponent, was worn down...
Ali, with his Incredible Will, Stamina, and Long....Reach, would Drop...his opponent, to the Mat. 

Muhammad Ali, was...'The Greatest'. 
In so many...Ways.
He was an Inspiration...in my life, like my Dad...and, John.
I've seen them all...Take Such Brutal Beatings, and...somehow, find their feet, and...
Keep on Going. <3 <3 <3 

It was painful...to watch, but...the Lessons Learned, from their Sacrifices, and...Wisdom, are forever imprinted in my Soul.
Those...are 'The Ropes'...I lean on, these days.
Blessings.

Love...to Ya, 
Barb C.







No comments: