Thursday, March 8, 2012

Country School Ledgers...{and...Peg...and the Monkey!}

I picked up a pile...of these wonderful Old Country School Ledgers...from the 1870's, 80's and 90's......at Duwa's Auction, on Saturday...
I Love...Old Ledgers...
They provide...a wonderful window...to our past...
These came from The Lime Creek Township...in Washington, County....Iowa...# 11.
I haven't had time, to read through them...but have had great fun...flipping through the old pages....seeing the children's names....
Charles...Henry...Maud...Matilda...Bessie...Ruth...August....Rose....Willis...
all...popular names...back in 1877....
I'll have these...nestled down the Rabbit Hole...soon...
I hired the Boys, to help me pick up a cupboard this morn...my hand...is still a mess...
and it is huge...{the Cupboard...my hand..is getting a bit smaller...}
Then...a Gal stopped by, as we were unloading it...and it sold...so...We'll deliver that, in the morn....
I want to go and pick up another load, at Duwa's...sometime, tomorrow...
I worked it the Rabbit Hole...for a while...and spent some time with a dear friend...picking up...FLOWERS!!!! I bought some Violas.... They are soooo Sweet....and, truly...make me Smile...
Peg...is having a hard time, keeping her food down...{liquid}....and we had a long...long talk this evening...She got tired of me hounding her...so we talked about the neighbor's Monkey....
oh my Gosh...Peg had me Rolling...
I took Peg, to meet the neighbor's...Sweet Little Monkey...one day...last Summer...
We sat down...and were visiting with the neighbor...and the Monkey..began jumping, from one end of the room..to the other... then...landed...on my head...{nothing bothers me...when it comes to Critters...Peg...however...found Much Humor in It!}
The Monkey...Loved my hair.... and was chewing on it...Peg was Roaring...nearly...fell off her chair...and that... Made the Monkey...so mad...
 The Monkey started Hissing at Peg...and showing it's Sharp Little Teeth....
The owner, in a low...scolding voice...said to Peg...
"oh...don't laugh at her...she doesn't like, to be laughed at"....
If you could have seen Peg's face....It Went Blank...Except...for her eyes...{They looked like Don Knotts' eyes...when he got scared!!!!} She wanted to run...but knew...the Monkey was way too fast for her...so she just sat there...Frozen...as the Monkey Bounced back, between her, and I.... I was laughing so hard...at Peg...and Peg...had to sit there...with the funniest expression....trying to avoid....that crazy Monkey...It Was Priceless....
Oh My...
Love, to ya...
Barb C.
{It truly was...like 'The Mississippi Squirrel Revival'...The Monkey...couldn't care less... I was laughing myself off the chair...she knew...I was laughing at Peg...and...that...was o.k....but She didn't want to hear a peep...out of Peg...Oh My Gosh!  Peg was frozen solid....Eyes...as Big as Saucers...Knees Knockin! We could write a Book...on Peg's Expressions...Alone!!!! FUNNY!!!!!}
{I laugh like crazy...when we discuss The Monkey.... and she gets so mad...and says.."Laugh...Laugh... You Didn't See That Monkey's Face!!!! {Then...she imitates...the Monkey...shows her teeth...and hisses...tooooooo Funny!!!!!! ahhh Priceless....}

6 comments:

Brandon Woline said...

It is funny but poor Peg. Shop Vac's explodeing, You jumping on her hand and mean monkeys...

Simply Iowa said...

AND SHE KEEPS COMING BACK!!!! WHY??? How many...how many times...I have asked her...WHY????
I told her...when she started battling...this mess...Tell the Lord...He Owes You...a Pardon... She has served her time...in Hell...If Fairfax, Iowa! And He Knows It!!!
She...has sure made the last several years... a Joy...for me...even tho...I laugh at her...she knows...no Sister...could Love her more...
Love to Ya...Brandon...
Barb C.

Kari from Meadowview Farm said...

Such friendship you both share....and a monkey story to boot.
Kari

Simply Iowa said...

Hey Kari...!
Oh my...
Every Day...With Peg...is an Adventure! {Think...she'd say the same...about me...oh my...} As I reread this story...over an over last night....I was Roaring....tearing up....you truly had to be there...That Crazy Little Monkey....and Peg...oh my.... Too Funny!!!!!!!!)
Love to ya!
Barb C.

Betty G said...

Love the monkey story. Anything about you and Peg I love. Keep 'em coming. :) Luv to you both~Betty

Simply Iowa said...

Well...Betty...
Where have You Been!
Soooo good...to hear from you...
Love to Ya!
Barb C.