Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Land of the Misfit Toys....

Had lunch with a dear friend, yesterday....She said her daughter asked her why we are all like Misfit Toys.... I had to laugh.... I've always felt like a 'Misfit Toy'...but... I wouldn't trade this 'Misfit Land', for anywhere else... I had visited with her daughter, earlier, yesterday.... we are about 6 years apart....I am older... we, are much alike... she and I...we run too hard... see good in everything, and everyone...{until they show us different..then...we still love 'em....}.creative, imaginative, always dancing on a razor blade...spinning...spinning...trying to stay alive, and help others keep their heads up, as well...always putting out 'fires', while standing on a tip toe....oh dear... I told her, yesterday, keep watching my life... she's heading my direction, just a few years behind...{maybe that's why the question about 'Misfit Toys', was asked, a little later...}
I'm still working on the Tree... it's funny...my friend told me she was doing a 'Misfit' Tree....Me Too!.... I have been digging through the boxes of ornaments, and put the scruffiest ones, front and center... let 'em Shine!....Then, I did something, I never do...I took the most precious ones to me, that are always kept in the safest places, in the cupboards...and put them on the Tree... they need to Shine, too...
There have been many interruptions, over the last couple of weeks... but...that's o.k. I get to work on the Tree, in little doses... and...that's a good thing....
Hope Everyone has a Great Wednesday...
Barb C.
This is White Ironstone...piled in 'Paul Bunion'... he's a most Amazing Misfit Cupboard.... He's 10 feet tall...and the first time I saw him, I fell hopelessly in Love... I was at my friend Charlie's, in Southern Iowa.... He had rescued it, from his Great Aunt's home, just a few miles from where he lives...The house was going down...and, Paul Bunion, was built in.... all squared nailed... mid 1800's... old, old dry white paint.... He is one piece....but... built for a Giant... the base is nearly chin high...then, a step back, pie cooling shelf... then, above that, the top doors.... I am 5'8, and can only easily reach the first shelf...It appears it was made for someone, like Paul Bunion....built to scale, for a giant... The doors are all long gone...but, I Love him, anyway.... He is so big, the first time I saw him, Charlie had him strapped to the hayloft, while he was standing on the main barn floor.... he seemed to hit the barn roof!!!! I talked Charlie out of him, and he's accompanied me to many shows... and always stands proudly...and stirs many conversations! I even took him to Nashville, Heart of Country! He was Mighty Proud to be There! {folks from HGTV, even got a picture!} He's been a wonderful display cupboard...and a very dear old soul....
a beloved 'Misfit'....

No comments: