Friday, June 25, 2010

Another.... Good Day...

This book, is amazing...I read this, as I was quickly flipping through the pages... {written prior to 1935...} The Crazy Quilt They do not make them anymore. For quilts are cheaper at the store Than woman's labor, though a wife Men think the cheapest thing in life. But now and then a quilt is spread Upon a quaint old walnut bed, A crazy quilt of those old days That I am old enough to praise. Some women sewed these points and squares Into a pattern like life's cares. Here is a velvet that was strong, The poplin that she wore so long, A fragment from her daughter's dress, Like her, a vanished loveliness; Old patches of such things as these, Old garments and old memories. And what is life? A crazy quilt; Sorrow and joy, and grace and guilt, With here and there a square of blue For some old happiness we knew; And so the hand of time will take The fragments of our lives and make, Out of life's remnants, as they fall, A thing of beauty, after all. { Douglas Malloch} Oh my... This is, my Treasure... For the day.... This Wonderful, Coal Black Shawl, was the reason I went back to the sale... It was forgotten, at the check out...So, I have it, to thank, for all the beautiful Gatherings of the Day.... It is absolutely Stunning.... I can't begin to describe how it entrances.... I didn't even notice the Paisley... But, of course.... Paisley always speaks to me, even when hidden from the eye... I would guess this to be 1860's or '70's... It's a Stunner... This old Crazy Quilt, is amazing... To be honest... I didn't open up, either Crazy Quilt, 'til I got them home... Then, they blew me away... I didn't need to see their beauty, I already knew it was there... the pieces I have photographed, of the Peacock, and the flowers and urn... are all embroidered on, and have been cut from another Victorian fabric... Amazing....
This is the coolest old grind stone... Thought my Southern Iowa Friends, or Springville Pal, may like this, as much as I do... or... maybe a little more! It's very, very cool!
These are wonderful buttons, I bought from my old friend, Julie... She has the coolest stuff...
{Sorry Kathie} Here's a better image of the Plant Stand, I got in, yesterday... It's a gnarly dawg!{ it's sold}
Hey Robin... Finally... An Early Coverlet... It is sewn in two pieces, has a few, small stains, but, it's in good shape!
These are the Beautiful Pastels... The Sun, really made all of the images I took, while unloading, look washed out... These, are, Amazing... And I love them... I'm trying to find a wall for them... if not, they will be for sale...
Ahhh... The Craziness...
It was a Great Day, really....Went back to the Tag Sale, and found MORE great stuff!!!! more Crazy Quilts, more textiles, 2 beautiful Pastel Still Lives, that were hid away, a beautiful Rope Bed, a lovely Blue and White Coverlet, { Robin, take a peek!} A neat old concrete fountain, a cool stained glass window...A massive tin tray, with cool cut out handles, oh, and more vintage Christmas... {I can't help myself... I don't have any, exactly like these....} a beautiful, Victorian Hanging Lamp... complete...I could go on and on... I was so tired of unpacking, I just put everything left, outside, back in the truck... Tomorrow is.... another day....
Had a wonderful surprise, today! Kathie, {this girls art} popped in... Unfortunately, to purchase the wonderful { I mean Awful} wire plant stand, I had bought at Gail's sale, yesterday... Only to find, I had sold it, this morning, over the phone, to a dear friend....{who also saw it on the blog} I reminded her to call, if she sees something... I really do have a cell phone growing out of my ear... and never mind a call... She left deflated, but, not empty handed... I really felt bad... Wish I had another one... She left me with a 'wish list'... so, I'll see what I can do!!!
As I was unpacking all the wonderful treasures, that will be headed for Mt.Vernon, in just little over a week...Oh My... Tho, I love everything, and actually brought the huge Pastel Paintings in the house, hoping to find a spot, { they are waaayyyy cooler, in person!} My favorite find, was a book... from 1935... " The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt in America" { also, in the house...} I bought it at the sale, and didn't take a moment to read it... just bought it...along with several other, very interesting books... As I was taking a break, from unloading the truck, I sat down, and looked through the books... This one stole my heart... It has many illustrations, of every quilt square, you can imagine, and identifies them all... but, there are also poems, and stories written by quilters... this is priceless....
I have gathered at least 6 wonderful Crazy Quilts, this last week... Every single one of them, has their own little voice... I am thankful, they fell into my hands... I hope to find wonderful homes, for them... if not... they are always welcome here...
Barb C.

1 comment:

Kay said...

You are going to take photos at Mt Vernon, right?!! I'll be drooling from afar. :o[