Wednesday, December 7, 2011

On the Road...today...

I was snapping images, yesterday morning... and these old Ornaments...resting in a, badly broken, Staffordshire, compote..{ I can't bare to pitch it.... some day...I'll get the glue out....}they were calling out, to me...they were a gift...years ago...as I looked closer, at this image... I realised, my reflection, is in one of them...I almost deleted it... but then, It made me see.....how old...and drawn, I have become...I see why those images of people, back in the day...always looked so much older, than they were.... It truly isn't the Years...it's the Miles....and...this Old Gal...has got a lot of 'Miles'...on this Old Frame....
Bills to pay... I figure...by the time we are caught up...I'll be just about broke....
I am thankful...we are getting caught up...
 Today, reminds me of a letter that came along with...one of my most Favorite Cupboards....ever...
I was talked into selling...several years ago....It was from deep, Southern Iowa... A Big...Walnut Straight front Cupboard... with Ox blood paint...
I had all of the history on it...it had started out, in a Sod House.... then...moved to the 'New' House...that was built in the later part of the 1800's.... then...that house was boarded up.... in the mid 1900's....and was going to be dozed down....in the 1990's....full... a woman stopped in my shop, wanting to know, if I was interested in anything, out of that house...she had begged them, to let her go inside, and rescue, before they dozed....{she was a friend of the family, and convinced them, that there was value in there, and the elderly owner, could use the money...}
There is a LONG story...on how, I wound up with that Old Cupboard... but, that's another day.... {Susie, the girl who rescued everything...and I... were left speechless.... it was a 'meant to be'...thing......}
Susie had saved all sorts of letters...from the 1800's...and one of them, I saved, with the 'Sod House Cupboard'... A young woman, had moved from the Southern Iowa Farm...and the only family she knew, and settled with her husband, and, then children in the Red River Valley.... she wrote, in that letter...about the little critters, she loved...the cold Spring...late Snow... and her children... then...she said.."Yes Mama, the land here is beautiful... I just wish the weather was more predictable, and the crops...more sure.".... she was worried about the uncertainty, in her life...{I know I'm not quoting it word for word, it's been years since I read that old letter....and, when I let the Cupboard go...I sent the Letter with it...} but...I sighed...as I began to write this, and, I can tell you...in a hundred and forty years....nothing has changed.... Life is so Uncertain....
Have a Wonderful Day...
Barb C.
{I just reread this... and noticed the title...I titled this...before I wrote it...or had picked the image....ah...yes...on the road...again....and...adding a few more miles.... oh my....}

2 comments:

Alanna said...

Love your blog-especially all of the pics of your beautiful antique finds. I hope your friend,Peg continues to improve. I just lost my husband to cancer 3 months ago. Have a Merry Christmas. Alanna Neupert-"The Farmer's Wife"

Simply Iowa said...

Oh...Alanna...
I am so sorry...
seems...this 'thing'...called 'cancer' touches everyone...
I have been feeling, like, 'life is so short'...the last few years...realising...we truly are on a journey...I don't believe, this is the end.... here on Earth...I believe...this is where we are to learn...
I said, to my friend, Cathy, " life is short...and...we are all dieing from the first moment we are created....how this life ends...is unknown, to each of us...it could be cancer...or a banana peel...but, in my heart... I feel we will all be together again..." {Cathy got a kick out the 'banana peel'... she is a daily banana eater...and is now, thinking twice about where she throws 'em!}
Peg had another round of chemo, Monday... and she is doing very well...I know the Prayers are a Huge part of that...
My Prayers, go to you... as well...
I think, we should Pray, for all who suffer...and,...that would be, for the entire World...
God Bless You...
Take care of You... and...enjoy...every Moment, you have...
I know, it's so hard to do...always 'stuff' trying to steal your joy... don't allow it to be stolen... it's so precious...our 'moments'...
and...remember...to keep looking up...and Hand it Over...there is always an Angel, close by...just waiting...
Love, to You....
Barb C.