Friday, January 14, 2011

The Mid 1700's Corner Cupboard....oh my....You're Beautiful....

I Gotta tell ya... This is when, I hate this business..
Folks think, I have some bucks... the truth is... I just keep it all turning... and pay the bills...and...Love every minute of it....
 The people... the wonderful, soulful...antiques....The Journey.....it's all good...
 Today, I bought this old Corner Cupboard...it had been in a shed, I have looked at it, a couple of times, over the last two years....{it's haunted me....I'd forget about it...then...it would come whispering, to my soul...I wanted it, so much, for myself...but...knew I couldn't make it happen...too many obligations...always...} My friend, Ken Harrington...{Kalona Antiques Company}, and friend, Tom Rawson, {Sanctuary Antiques}...made it possible, for me to acquire  the wonderful old Darling...
Thank You Both...
Here's the deal... I can't afford to keep it... oh dear... It's Scandinavian...lived in an Illinois home, for the last many years... it's from the mid 1700's...amazing paint... Rose head nails...I simply want to melt... when I touch it...
It was a built in, and a deep one... 38 inches deep...it's 53 inches wide...and about 7 feet tall... and...heavy...full dimension lumber... a force to reckon with... {ahhh...just like, I like 'em....} we are going to trim the depth, to just under 36, {so it will fit through a door a standard door......} and put a correct back on it... so it can free-stand... Dale helped me put it in my house...{we have double doors...} Johns shop, is full...and it won't fit through 32 inch, greenhouse doors...at my shop} 
I know, I will be heart broken, when we take it out, and John makes it whole...
{ when an Old Cupboard finds it's way, into the house....it's very desperate times, that take it out the door..... I don't like to part with old cupboards....they are... ahhh...Family....I can tell you... I'll be holding on...for dear life...but...I know, it will have to go....}
I'll be taking it to Heart of Country...{unless someone speaks for it, before we get it loaded...}
For a few days...I will get to enjoy it... then...let it go....
God...I hate my Job....God...I Love my Job....
Barb C.
{ I'm sitting on the balcony...looking down, on that Amazing...Old...Old...Dry...Red and Blue painted Corner Cupboard....
The Surface...all hand, grain painted...Grungy... in need of a warm, gentle bath...
We'll make it sing...
{It has been 'singing' to me, since the first time I laid eyes on it....}
 Oh dear... I hope it finds it's way, to someone, who will love it, as much as I...It deserves it...
{Dale and I stopped at Barntiques, and Sisters' Garden and Bloom...all on Hi Way 1. on our way to Kalona....If you haven't been there lately...oh my...Those Stores...will blow your mind.... Check out their blogs...{I follow}...They are...over the top...}
Yes...I can still hear the old cupboard singing... It's going to sleep well...tonight...here...among...friends...

2 comments:

cconz said...

Barb, Please for heavens sake KEEP IT! You need to keep things close to your heart. That certainly is a beautiful piece. I've never seen anything like it. KEEP IT

Simply Iowa said...

Oh Cathie...
Not in the Cards, my friend...for thousands of little reasons...I truly hope...whoever it finds it's way to... will hold it very dear... It's quite the Old Darling...
Thanks for the Lovely, thought!
My Love to Ya!
Barb C.