Thursday, December 7, 2017

Apples...and Oranges....and Pears....oh my.

While working down the rabbit hole, the other day.....
I was sorting through, all sorts of old....'stuff'.
Things, that've been stashed away, during fevered frenzies...leading up, to numerous 
'Events'. 
: )
I, love.... everything that finds it's way, to the rabbit hole... : )
It wouldn't be here, if... I didn't 'see'...something, Good...in it. : )
Not, Everyone... has my vision. : ) : ) : ) 
Peg, over the years...helped me the most...in the shop.
<3
She'd look at something...then, pick it up...get a puzzled look on her face....and say,
"What the Hell????" 
hahahahahaha!!!
There weren't many things, down the rabbit hole, Peg didn't appreciate...tho. : )
When she didn't like something.... it got 'stashed'....under a cupboard, or...a sofa. : )
or....maybe....a Quilt, or two...just happened, to get folded on top of a basket....
that held, in her eyes...
 'undesirables'.
Hahahaha!
I've been finding a few....of her 'Stashes'. : )
Vintage Wax Fruit.... was something, Peg.... could Not...Stand.
: )
I, don't know how many times....she told me to "Throw This Crap...Away!!!"
Hahahahaha!!!
: )
I, on the other hand..... I, really Like, that old...wax fruit. : )
Many years ago, one of the first years....an Old Friend, and I....were doing the Amazing...
'Heart of Country'...in Nashville, I was struggling, with a Theme, for our booth.
We were 'different', than... everyone else there, at the time.
We carried our Iowa 'Farmhouse', 'Simply Iowa'...Style, to Nashville.
Most everyone else, was from the East Coast. They carried Beautiful...Early....Eastern...Pieces.
We, on the other hand... had pieces, that had been harvested from the rural areas, in Iowa...and Illinois. Much... 'different'. : ) 
{You'd NEVER....see a piece of wax fruit, or...an Old....Cupboard, that had more than it's Original Paint....on it's 'Surface'
 {Ours...had Decades....of Layers...of Old...Paint. : ) }
I'd found an Amazing, 'Wood Box'....on our travels.
It said... 'Simply Iowa'. : )
It had the Most....Beautiful...Old...Old..Gnarly Paint.
It, was between Robin's Egg Blue, and Teal. 
It, was a Show Stopper!
I, told my Friend...we needed to figure out something....Cool, to Fill it with.
She and I thought about it. 
Then, when we were visiting a shop, in Iowa City.... I saw a Big Bowl....of Vintage Wax Fruit.
That's It!!!!
The Colors...are Perfect!!!!
The Old Wood Box, was created to hold split wood, on a porch....so....it would hold a LOT....
of Wax Fruit.
: )
Everywhere I went, I was Hunting Wax Fruit!
So, was my Friend!
: )
We gathered... over months, about 15 gallons of Old...Wax...Fruit!
That Gnarly Old Wood Box, was going to be Front and Center...
in our Heart of Country Booth!
: ) 
Oh My.
We worked so Hard....on that Booth.
We Had Too!!!
The other Vendors.... were The Best...of The Best.
Their Booths, were Over the Top!!!
 Every Single One.
I, never left the booth...much, during set up.
{Days.....}
Everything... had to be Perfect!
: )
We were the only Folks, from Iowa....that did Heart, at that time.
We...needed to Stand Tall, for our Midwest!!! <3 
The day before the show....was to open, {we worked three days, on the booth }
I, felt...we were getting pretty close....so, I walked around, looking at the other booths.
At that time, Country Home Magazine, had a Big...Center....Booth.
I, always admired what they did.
As I was walking back, to our booth, I walked past theirs.
On the outside wall.... of their booth, was an old...China Cabinet.
Inside...that old...Cabinet....
there was Nothing...
but...
TONS of VINTAGE WAX FRUIT!!!!
Oh MY Lord!!!!
I, Nearly...Fell Over!!!!
Hahahahaha!!!
I, stormed....back to our booth.
Told my Friend, what I'd just seen.......
She looked at me, and said...
"I, saw it....two days ago....but, I didn't have the heart, to tell you. : ( "
It's Funny...now.
at the time...
Not So Much!!!
Hahahahaha!
We sold...a Ton of it, there. 
I, wondered....when I found the basket...of it, down the rabbit hole....that, Peg had stashed....
the other day...
if, any of it...had made that trip, to Nashville. 
: )
I, cleaned it all up. It was so Dusty.
As I held, each piece....in my hands, it brought back...some Wonderful....
Memories.
both...
of  Heart of Country, and Our...Peg. : ) <3 
oh.... my. <3 
Love, to ya...
Barb C. 


No comments: