Monday, June 24, 2013

Red Barn Market... West Branch... and... The Hi Way... : )

Took off Sunday Morn... and went to visit Jo Ann at her Red Barn....
She has occasional .... Gatherings... Throughout the Year...
I had never attended... so was anxious....
It was Lovely...
She's located on Herbert Hoover Hi Way.... between I 80, and West Branch....Iowa...
Her Market opened on Friday... but... I couldn't get there 'til Sunday....
She's going to be Open on The 4th.... as are the Shops in West Branch...
There's going to be A LOT of Great Antiquing.... within 45 minutes of Cedar Rapids....
Over the Week...of The 4th!!!
oh...my...
: )
Jo Ann's Farm.... is... Absolutely... Beautiful....
She has Refinished...and Early Painted Pieces!
Jo Ann has some very Fortunate...Cats!
After leaving The Red Barn...I popped  in to see...Louie and Colleen at Main Street Antiques.... in West Branch!
I don't get there often...
It's always a Treat...to see what's Newly Arrived!....
{and...there is Always Something... that Tempts Me! Last visit...it was an Incredible Wardrobe....{oh dear}
This Visit....
a  Hand Carved Farm...
{House...Barns... Fences... oh my!!!}
 with... Hand Carved... Critters!!! oh my...HEAVENS!!!}
I LOVE this Shop....
So much... 'Unusual'.... and they always keep their prices so....Fair....
I have my eye on a few things....
If They'll do the Job...I need them to....
They are coming Home...with Me!
This is a New Shop... "Marg's Little Red House Antiques" ! across the Street from Louie's....
D A R L I N G!
The Girls who own it...are also... Darling... and do a Great Job....
They have everything from...50's Kitchen Items... to Gnarly Old Primitives!
They will be Open on the 4th!
 
It was a Drive.... in The Beautiful Iowa Countryside!!!...
then...
I went on to visit...
'Bootleggers'... in Oxford, Iowa...
as I was heading West... towards Home...
{Oxford is just North of I 80....
West...of Iowa City...
I sometimes go home that way...it takes me through The Amana Colonies...
 a Beautiful Drive...: ) }
Bootlegger's is... Very...Fun!
{Also...Open on the 4th!!!}
So Many...New...and Established  Antique Shops... in the area...
This Truly Is...
a Honey Hole.....
for Antiquing...
: )
 
My Treasure...for the Day!
I bought it from Jo Ann....
It's a Real Deal... Chimney Cupboard!
1870's or early '80's...
All Square Nailed!
Sweeeet!
You can always tell a 'True' Chimney Cupboard... by their Construction....
The Sides... and Top... are THICK!
They were made to stand beside a Chimney... and be able to hold...Heavy Weight....
You can see... by this image of the bottom... that the sides... were double the thickness of the back....
The Top...is also...hand planed... and over an inch thick...
Jo Ann... pointed out all of the Old...Old Pencil writing inside the door....
There are Names...and Dates....
from the early 1900's...
She said she pulled it from an Iowa City, Iowa basement.....
It's... a Sweet Heart!
 
This...Blew my Mind!
It's an Ink Calligraphy Drawing.... of a Bird....!!!
It's on one of the shelves....
Flourishes... or Calligraphy Samples... were Very Popular in the 1870's and '80's....
{I LOVE Them}
People would draw Animals...and Birds...to practice and show... their Penmanship Skills....
Penmanship... was Sooooo Crucial...back in the day..
It...not only reflected one's intelligence .... or education....
but... Writing... was the Main Communication.... back in the day...
If...you had Beautiful Handwriting Skills...and Spelling Skills....
You... Had a JOB!!!
Vocabulary...was prominent... later...
with phones.... and transportation....
today...
I wonder...
Everyone relies on the computer ....
e-mail...
and...texting....
to communicate....
No one talks....
writes... hand written... anything...
Folks... hardly look each other...in the eye....
hmmmm....
Guess that's why... I don't do much business... on line....
and...drag my feet... about it...
I Love... my Victoria Magazines...
I hold...in my hands....
the images... look as if... I could walk into them...
I do...have a pinterest account...
and...I do... post things....
but...
I Love...the Real Deal....
it's a strange time...
for folks like me....
who... have a huge.... dislike.... for 'change'....
Folks say I am really missing out....
somehow....
I think....
it's the other way...around...
: )
{all of these thoughts...just came to mind.... by simply... catching a Glimpse....of...a Practice... Calligraphy Drawing.....
 on an Old Shelf Board....
in an Old Cupboard.... that sat...in an Old... Basement... for a Long... Long...time....: )
you can have the new fangled electrical stuff....
my brain...still travels to the beat...of an Old....Drum...}
{and...I haven't had any coffee yet...{I'm Out!} just think... what I may have been inspired by....
 had I had my Morning Swill!!! }
oh my....
Love...to ya...
Barb C.


 




No comments: