Friday, July 20, 2012

Inspiration...

Didn't intend to....
But...yesterday...I took the
Day Off!
I had helped, Geri...Peg's Mother in Law... get her sale together....
Wednesday....
{Peg was going to come help...but I told her to stay home... she has so much going on, this Fall...and she pushes...too hard...}
I fluffed...and organized.... Carolyn A. was kind enough to come over in the afternoon...and help price....
Geri is 81... never has driven a car...has held a job....beginning when she was a little girl...in her Family's Restaurant... still works...at The Women's Shelter...takes a bus....or cab...when it's bad out...but...mostly walks... the 20 blocks...to her job...that she depends on....
{One night...in a Snow Storm...she got a Cab... then...realized...she didn't have enough cash...to pay the driver.... {they don't accept checks} She told the driver...about her dilemma...he said "Lady...you are the Only One...in Cedar Rapids...we'll take a check from...." The Bus Drivers...and Cabby's have been known to help her to her door... when it's icy....
People...Love Geri...and Respect her....
I think....because...She...Loves...and Respects them Back...
No matter...
{so much...like my Dad...}
Her income...is very little..and now...her hours have been cut back...
She's going to have to sell her house... and move into an Elderly Apartment....
{Her Children and Grandchildren all have offered to help....but she is very proud...and...Independent...and...I know...it's a bit...frustrating...for them...}
It's sad...to see her sell things....she loves so....
She is such a Free Spirit...
and...has an Amazing Attitude....
She Loves...People.... All People...
She has a Kindness...and Gentleness...about her...
with a whole lot of....Elegance...
yet....She is Strong....so Very...Strong....
Inside....and Out!
{we didn't know...she was going to lug...Everything...out of her basement!!! She spent weeks....toting things up those stairs....I don't know...how she did it...}
She battled cancer...25 years ago...that only 6% of people survive....
was in surgery...for 16 hours....had a complete colostomy....
{tho, you'd never know it...}
It was her attitude....Positive Attitude....and Angels....that carried her through...I am sure...
She always sees the Glass half Full...
and...always...looks for the Positive...in every situation...
Even...this one....
Geri is So Creative... her little house...is Lovely....
Deco... Nouveau...with a Splash of French...
she could have been a Designer....
and worked...in a well known Home Interior Store...on Commission...for years..until it closed...many years ago...
She and I...are much a like....that we see Beauty...in things...most....dismiss...
until we give it Front and Center....and Let It Shine!
I have encouraged her...to write a book on her life...or...simply record it...
She has had a fascinating life....
That has taken her...at the drop of a hat....to Las Vegas...and Chicago...and met...some very prestigious Folks...that are...'Just...Folks'....to her....and...they like that...
I could listen to her...for Hours....
I took food...and supplies over...when I went to help...on Wednesday...
I was so spent...from my 'life'... I couldn't go back...yesterday.....but...it was ready to go...when I left....
Her Grand daughters were coming to help...and Carolyn A. was popping in...for the first hour of the sale....
I visited with Geri...last night...The Sale went well...
She kept singing my praises....I kept saying...STOP!!!
It's Geri...that deserves...all of them....
at 81...she works...soooo hard.... for soooo little....
Never Complains.....Never asks...For Anything!
and...always....always....
Sees the Light...in the Darkest Places....
a True...Gem....
Love to Her...
Love..to You...
Barb C.
{If you are in the Cedar Rapids area... go visit her Sale.... and take something home...with you....she lives on Yuma Drive N.W.}




No comments: