Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Day at the Auction..'Duwa's' Wellman, Iowa

Whew... What a day! Was on the road, a little after 8, and got home last night, pushing 11... I feel like I have went 15 rounds with Ali, this morning! I felt like a cue ball, it was a tuff Action! They had lots of great stuff, and a huge crowd! It was like old home week! I ran into Lynn, from southern Iowa, he took some cool stuff home, and I think Leah, his lovely wife, will be pleased! Visited with fellow blogger, Nancy, {rugcottage@blogspot.com} Julie and Margine, from C.R., Bill Ackerman, from Iowa City, Sandy, from Noe Haus, in Amana, Don Johnson, Amana Colonies Antiques, from Amana, Coral, from New London, Jo, from 'Jo Dan's', Barb and Dan, from Marion, Kelly Reed, from Ottumwa, who vouched for me, with a clerk, I didn't know, when I was getting my bidding number, and didn't bring in my licence, he spoke up, and said I was o.k. At least I know I have one person in the world, who knows me, and will admit it...{ Thanks Kelly! You are my friend forever! It was a long walk, back to the truck!} and of course Dale Frese... Bless his heart, he stuck it out, all day then helped me load! We went out to dinner, in Kalona, and ran into Dwight Duwa,{ the auctioneer} and his lovely wife Jenelle, and they joined us! We had a wonderful visit, but was late getting home! I am quite pleased with the load... I needed some furniture, { and they say it isn't selling... we all saw a quite different image, yesterday!} I battled, and won, a wonderful, old, old pine painted step back cupboard... It's 'Iowa', all the way...Old mustard grain paint, 2 doors, 2 drawers, then 2 doors.... I wasn't in love with it at first...but throughout the day, it kept wooing me to it... When I started looking it over, I really fell in love with it! I asked Dwight where it came from, he said from an old house, right there in Wellman! Dale and I both think it is from the 1840's... It's pretty amazing! All it really needs is a good bath, and it'll be ready for the show, next weekend... Next weekend? Oh my gosh! Jo reminded me, that the Anamosa Show is next weekend...I thought I had 2 weeks! Yikes... No Sunday off, today! I also bought a wonderful Early Cottage Dresser! It is amazing! Bought 6 or 7 big painted house screens, in blue... Perfect for a spring booth!!! Loads of Ironstone... A couple of darling 'spring' quilts, { one is a 'Tulip Applique'} A very cool 1870's, Salmon colored step back cupboard, also from a home, near Wellman, a grinding stone, and a few funky farm things... Really, a pretty darned good load...Considering I had to work hard all day, to get them! I had left phone bids, on some cool stuff, in Illinois, but must not have gotten them, they didn't call, last night... Probably a good thing... I spent enough at Duwa's! Yikes!!!! I unfortunately missed Kim, a blog follower, yesterday, and she had to do some 'self service' shopping...{ sorry...I hope you can come to the show next Sunday! I'd love to see ya!} Well, I'd better take on the day! Lot's to do, and little time to gett'er done! 'til next time, Barb C.

4 comments:

Barntiques said...

I follow you here in blogland and always enjoy your posts. In reading this post, I noticed that barntiques was represented by someone or referred to. I am puzzled though. Either we have the same shop names or I was there on an out of the body experience. (side note...this is most likely!). Just curious. Looks like I would have loved this sale!

elizabeth said...

I wish you would have called me! Next time you go to an auction on the weekend call me(if you have room). You always find the best stuff. I can't wait to see the booth next weekend. Time sure flys doesn't it. I always love that show anyway. Love you, talk to you soon!

DeeDee said...

I stopped by for a visit today..I am born and raise in Sioux City, IA now transplanted to texas for work...stop by and visit me...

http:deedeescraftspot.blogspot.com

have a great day

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the nice report on the Amana Colonies Antique auction. Sorry this is so, after the fact - But I stumbled onto your blog quite by accident. Funny how that happens - I just took a seminar on Blogging today.
Barb you are a great inspiration - keep up the great work!
Junell