Tuesday, January 12, 2010

This is a True Story...

When I wrote, the other day, about the 'Derby Quilt', and how it was the only thing I had, from my Dad's side of the family, that wasn't quite true... And here is another example, of how things, just seem to come to you, it's like they are on a well worn path... strait to you...if you just open your eyes and see them... {makes me wonder what all I have missed, with my 'busy blinders' on...} My dear friend, Eudora, had called me, several years ago, when she had made the decision not to be an Antiques Dealer, anymore. She had brought all of her inventory home, and wanted me to buy it, lock, stock and barrel! I tried to convince her, to stay in the business, to no avail. She and her best buddy, Joan, enjoyed it so much, I truly hated to see them give it up. Eudora was having health issues, but I assured her, she would be fine, and not rush into things...I couldn't talk her out of it... So, I went to her home, and started going through things, and I remembered some things, I had admired in her booth, at the Store, they were little Calligraphy pieces... I didn't think I could afford to purchase everything, but I told her I really wanted one of them! She had sold one of them, but had one left, and she said it was the most unusual one...It had a tiny photo of the artist, on it! { Eudora was sure I could afford it, all of it, and made sure of it... I really miss her...} I hauled everything home, and came into the house, to have lunch, and it dawned on me, I had left the little Calligraphy piece, out in the truck... That was something I was going to keep, for myself, to remember Eudora by... I have seen these pieces at Nashville, but they are always so expensive, that I really didn't feel like I could afford to buy one for myself. { I refer to these as calligraphy, but they are also called 'flourishes', they are penmanship samples, and a writer would do them to sharpen up their skills, and show their beautiful talent! They date from the mid to late 1800's, and are amazing pieces of 'folk art'! Eudora was a wonderful Calligrapher, and also did beautiful work...} So out to the truck I trotted, and brought in the little Flourish, and as I was eating my lunch, I was examining the beautiful work, then I saw the artists signature, hmmm, he had actually signed it twice...cool... hmmm, I looked a little closer, at the signature, and squinted, and looked again... William H. Conner... William H. Conner... The last name was spelled like mine... that's unbelievable... most 'Conner's' are spelled with an 'or' or 'ors' at the end...{ neither Eudora, or I had noticed this... I saw the writing, but it didn't matter to me what it said, it was cool!} My blood went cold... My Dad had a cousin, in Nebraska, who had done all of our genealogy, on the Conner side, way back to Ireland, so I did some hunting, and found her number, and called her, right away! She didn't know me from Adam, but I told her about the piece, and was wondering if we had a relative, by that name... With out any hesitation, her reply was, oh yes, he would have been your Dad's Grandfather's brother.... I asked her if she had a photo of him, and what he looked like, and she described him to a tee...I asked her when he was born, and if he would fit into this time frame, and, oh yes... I had her send me three copies of the book she had written, on our family, which included pictures of William H. It was him... Now, what are the chances of that... really... I called Eudora, and we both just sat in silence, for a moment... Wow... I got to thinking, what if it had been this one, that had sold, at the Store... It would have been gone, forever... But that isn't how things work... If it's meant to be, it shall be... This is a true story... Sometimes, even I, { who believes in, what most would say is, unbelievable} can't hardly comprehend, how things play out... I treasure this little Flourish, and think of my Dad and Eudora, every time I see it...I just sit, and think, and wonder... 'til next time, Barb C.

4 comments:

Kay said...

Wow!

summersundays-jw said...

Great story & what a treasure. Jan

cconz said...

Barb, you always come up with the bestest stories. They always make me come away feeling good. Like there are no coincidences.Some things are meant to happen.

summersundays-jw said...

You and Polly have fun on your trip. I'm jealous! The sun is shinning today and it could hit 50. Yea!!!! Jan