Saturday, April 30, 2011

A Day...at the Farm Auction.... and more....

Oh my....I remember these days... from when I was a Small Child... Farm Auctions....Dad would leave me, from the time I was 7...to do his bidding, for him...on the Scrap Iron Piles...
Those days are gone.... rarely, are they at the Farmsted....They sort everything now....and take the antiques to an Auction Houses....This was a treat.... tho.... I couldn't buy many treats.... the prices were Unreal....I'm sure the Auctioneer, {Jerry}...and the Family, were Thrilled...!
It doesn't matter...
There was  Great Crowd...All Day!...
The owner, was kind enough, to give me a private tour, of the Old Farm House... so...so...sad....It's going down...unless...someone will move it....{not likely} It looks, like it almost weeps... Very...Sad...
Ahh...Old Tractors....Gnarly Old Tractors...
These are Amazing Draperies...all Tasseled... a Huge Amount....They are from an Early 1900's Lodge.... and will cover a Huge Wall...Gold Rush Bound!
This board is amazing... has a few square nails in it... and a couple of knot holes...I'm sure it was cut, at least a hundred and forty years ago... I had to laugh.... As I carefully took it off the wall...of the old shed, it was in...I was being watched... while I carried it to the truck... I was watched...as I carefully loaded and strapped it, to the side of the truck...I was watched....I was beginning to feel like a bug, in a jar...or... great entertainment...I had quite an audience, of Bib Overalls...{Think I should video tape my escapades.... this board, ain't nothin'...}
I spotted this Amazing 20, plus inch wide board, {by...as long as the Ford...} nailed on one of the old shed walls... I hoped I could get it bought...and did...
Sweet Garth...{virginia rose}Thank You...for lending a hand... Much appreciated.... There were piles and piles of Scrap, just like this...Everywhere.... Dad would have been in his Glory...{but oh dear.... the Scrappers were paying more than market value...it was unreal...}
I waded through this decrepit old building...with rubble, 3 feet deep.... and found some cool stuff... I set it out, and asked the Auctioneer to sell it separate...he obliged....
Can you see the Wonderful Cemetery Gate.... buried in the Wire....?... I did step up to the plate, on that....had to get it....I won't make much.... but...if I have to live with it... well... it's all good....
Tractors...and Tractors....
A Doctor's Buggy, and a Surrey... I should have bought the Surrey...it went for under 400.00...tho...if I would have been on it... who knows... it could have went over a Thousand...
Wonderful Old Silo....
Great Old Wagon....
Old Trucks....
On the way home...called John, to see if he'd like a Pizza, from Connie's Angel Inn, in Walford...{only 4 miles from our house}...He was all for it! I was a mess...after loading the truck... I washed up, at Connies...had a Nice Irish Draw...... and waited for the Pizza... some guys, at the end of the bar...were very intrigued, with the 'pink thing'.....wanted to know all about the signatures....then...asked me...if they could sign it....oh my.... "You Bet!"...I said....This Crazy...Ugly...{originally a make-up case} has been a real treasure....{I catch a glimpse of it, in many of my photo's.... like that crazy Travelling Gnome...oh dear...a Treasure... and...now...Folk Art!}
I got some cool stuff...and...had a Great Time! I saw many old pals, I haven't seen forever! {some, that are blessed to be alive...and are true survivors...}
A Pretty Good Day...
Barb C.

11 comments:

House Things said...

Fun Fun Fun...Even without being able to by much at least you had Fun!

Simply Iowa said...

Hey Brandon...
Yep...it was a Lovely Day! Good People... Old Junk... A Few Treasures...The Sun Shinning... It was All Good...
Love to You...Sweet Pea!
Barb C.

Gatherings said...

I hear your theme song! Just got home from stone city and three bloody marys. World is all right! Call me tomorrow! Shutters!

Simply Iowa said...

Yep...I ain't the type you take home to Mama...and...I do get a litle stonger... with a second drink.... oh my...3 Bloody Mary's...I'd be arm wrestlin' everyone in the bar...and.... kickin' butt! Next time you go to Waubeek... or Stone City... ring me... It might be fun...
Love to Ya...
{shutters are on hold for ya...}
Barb C.

Glenda said...

Oh my goodness. My kind of auction. I just love all the rummaging you showed us. Thanks...
~G~

Simply Iowa said...

Hey, Glenda...
It was fun...diggin'... a little sad, too...
John and I went back there, to pick some of my purchases up, this morning....we had a chance to visit with the Family.... nice folks...
I Love Iowa...Farm Folk... Good Folk...
Love to ya....
Barb C.

Gatherings said...

Hey it was fun. Good music at open mike. Was kinda loud at first but more drinks the quieter it seemed! Will call you next time. Just took off when I got off work. Nice way to end the work weekend!

Amy N said...

sign me up for one of those road trip days - I'd love to help you dig and load : ) I've been ignoring a "god wink" and it won't go away so I guess I better take action.....walk at lunch and a salad...Oh Boy!!! 3 Bloody Marys sounds sooooo much better ; )
Have a great day!!

Novelty Pens said...

Farms like that are a piece of American History... It's just sad that they are disappearing from our landscape.

Simply Iowa said...

Hey Amy...
Oh Dear...
Jesus drank Wine...{in moderation...}
Moderation...that's the hard part!
Back to those 7 deadly sins... Workin' on It...
Yep...I'll ring ya....Headed for What Cheer...Thursday, and Friday...
??????
Love to ya!
Barb C.

Simply Iowa said...

Yes....Farms are leaving the Iowa Landscape....Very...Very Sad...
Oh My...
Love to Ya...
Barb C.