Monday, March 8, 2010

The Flood of '08... Prayers are needed....

Went down to the shop, yesterday, even tho, I have been trying to take Sundays off... Pals, Rick and Karen wanted to stop by, and I just felt drawn, to be there, anyway... I now know the reason why... My little store, is kind of a gathering spot for folks... Folks, that just need... Need, comfort, someone to listen, I have had so many folks, just need an 'ear', that when I found an old brass plate, from a confessional, I posted it on my door, it reads, " Confessions 5 to 7 Daily". But all know, those hours, should read 24-7... When I walked down to the store, a van was outside, I walked in, to find, an old friend... He had gathered a couple of treasures, and when Rick and Karen popped in, my friend kept looking around... When they left, he stayed, and I asked him, if he would like to sit down, and chat.... He took me up,on the offer, right away... This dear man, seems like a lost soul... beaten down, totally exhausted... My heart aches for him, as I write... My friend lost everything, in the flood of '08... He has been working, and trying to rebuild, since the city let everyone go back in... We have discussed all of the massive hurdles, he has had to over come, the last, almost, 2 years now... I recently found out, he has been living in this house, sleeping on the floor of his bathroom, with a heater...{ all winter, with walls torn down to the lath, no insulation... Some nights this winter have been -20}{it took them months, to turn on the gas...} { some nights, he has slept in his van, in a well lit parking lot...} He goes to work, every day, comes home, and works, all night.... I gave him my number, and begged him to call, if he needs anything... months ago... I offered him a place, here in our home, to stay... He just won't.... He is so driven, to get this house done... This man, has a professional job, he makes good money... and yet, he is sleeping on the floor, in his bathroom... He had no flood insurance, when he purchased his home, the realtor, said he wouldn't need it. He wasn't in the flood plain... Every penny he makes, goes into restoring his home... I wonder, how many people, with far less, are living the same way... and we don't know about it... Fema, helped a little, the city, well, has everyone jumping through hoops... I don't know... This man, is one of the kindest, gentlest souls, I have ever known... I have given him, a few things, over the last year and a half, that I hope will work, in his restoration.... I don't know why, I am sharing this, with you, except, I know prayers work... Please pray for him, and all of those, who experienced this flood, and the Katrina victims... I am sure they are still struggling too...My friend told me, his co workers are coming over this week, to lend a hand... I have offered to haul, with the little truck, and help too, but he never takes me up on it... He said he was having chest pains, a few months ago, but when he went to the hospital, everything was fine... It's not his heart, I said, it's stress, and anxiety... He is a healthy, fit man, but this is taking him down, emotionally... He shared with me, while talking to one of his co workers, and sharing with him, so many of the obstacles, the city has placed before him, the man replied, " you need to just get over it"... I asked, if he had ever visited the square miles of destruction, he is living in, and nope, he hadn't... I asked if that man was coming, to help with his other co workers, and nope, he wasn't... Maybe, we should pray for that man too....My friend and I visited, for several hours... I didn't have another soul, walk through the door... I think God knew, my friend needed an uninterrupted session... Prayer's my Angels, I ask for your Prayers.... Barb C.

5 comments:

summersundays-jw said...

I'll say a prayer for your friend & also that you won't have a repeat of 'o8 this year. I think there are so many people struggling right now -- really struggling. If I win the lottery tonight (I'm buying a ticket just for your friend) I'll send it. You're a good person. Sometimes people just need to talk. Jan

Unknown said...

prayers for your friend!!

Unknown said...

I will pray for your friend and his co-worker. It is a shame sometimes people do not realize the struggles others go through every day just to live. Thank you for this post I needed this today, worrying about my insignificant problems!

Julie said...

sad...this man needs the helping hand of a church congregation family. my goodness. Or would he not wish that? Oh to have the hard working and community "spirit" of the Amish people. They ALL pitch in when one goes down. Saying a little prayer that friends of this despondent soul will be able to find a way to lift him up and get a major boost of help for him on his house from some group of giving workers.

Mary Ellyn said...

Of course your friend will be in my prayers and to you Barb...a very special soul...I bow. Love, Mary Ellyn