Sunday, October 17, 2010

Norway Auction...

Tom Sandersfield... My favorite Auctioneer.... He and Jimmy, gave me a hard time, all day...they poked and prodded...always fun, and lighthearted... I love those Boys... Good Men... Jim Arp...my second favorite, Auctioneer...{sorry Jimmy... but... Tom and I go wayyy back... to the days he was the 'Second Auctioneer', with Vernon Brecht... I was about 10, when Tom started with Vernon... those were the days... oh my...} Sally was Full... Poor little Mustang... Little Ford was wrapped, stacked, and strapped... I'm sure driving one of 'my' loads home... made John's day... tho... he had a lot of fun digging through the contents of the old garage... and found some cool stuff! John squeezed in the Ford, somehow.... {welcome to my world....} Visited with Dale, and Mark...yesterday morning, before the sale started... they were at the auction, looking through, and I asked them, if I should come.... They both thought I'd find some stuff.... Norway, Iowa, is where Mark lives, and Dale grew up, and has lived in this area his entire life.... it's just 10 minutes from me... A small Farming Community, it's largest business is Frontier Herbs... a wonderful, worldwide Natural Products Business...{they were doing things right, before it was the 'right thing' to do... Organics...}
The Ford was still partially loaded, and it was close to the start of the Auction.. So, I asked Mark, if he thought I needed the truck... He didn't think there was much 'big' stuff, I'd want... so, he said bring the car... Well... I filled the Mustang... and then called John, had him ask Justin to help him unload the truck, and bring it, too.... I bought the contents of a shed... a wonderful old General Store, Enterprise {2 wheeled} Coffee Grinder { a Big Daddy!}.... 2 beds... loads of littles {children's books... fabric... rugs... unusual chick feeders...an old, old teeny tiny sprinkling can...lovely old frames... a wonderful old Gilbert Store Regulator Clock... with a fancy pressed oak case.... {it's spring is sprung... and the winding arbor is broken off.... {where the key fits, and you wind the clock...} I will tell you... someone had some bloody knuckles, after that spring blew... I have had this happen...when winding a clock... oh my....} The Lady who was having the sale, is 87 years old... and a very sweet, and charming woman... She helped me fold many old quilts I had purchased, and pointed out the ones her mother and grandmother made... Nothing fancy... but, wool...and warm... she said, in those days, it was most important that the quilts were warm.... She told me the old clock had been in her home, her entire life... I'll have it running, in no time....{no pun intended} Dale helped 'ring' the auction... My favorite Auctioneers were having the sale... It was good to see everyone... Dale helped us load, and we went out to supper together... It was a long day... I'll be unloading, cleaning, sorting and repairing, today...
Hope you find much rest, on this most Beautiful Sunday....
Barb C.

No comments: