Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Horticulturist....

Spent the day...doing research...
I dug this 1849...book out the other day...to show to Liz and Nick...
They are really getting into Gardening...
They got a kick out of it...
and...found some useful...information...in it..as well...
I so...enjoy this Old Book...
I bought it several years ago... while visiting with my Sweet Friend, Jo....
at an Antique Mall...
in Newton, Iowa...
{'Pappy's'...I think...}
I don't remember...exactly what I paid for it...
but...it was on the expensive side...and...I remember...I put it back on the shelf...
then...as we were heading out the door...
I went back...and got it..
I'm so glad...I did...
When I got it home...and began going through it..
I realized... there was a picture...of a House..that could be the Twin...
to my Favorite Home...of all time...
We moved into the Old Farm House...near Keystone, Iowa...when I was 7....
It was a Beautiful...Easter Sunday...
We lived there little more than a year...but...it was the Happiest year...of my Childhood....
and...one of the saddest days...of my life...when Mom and I drove...away...
I was driving...on my own...when I was 12....
and...every Easter...from that time on...I'd drive...to visit...the Vacant Old Farm House...
Never thinking...to take a camera...
Then...one Easter...I drove there...
to find nothing...but a Farm Field....
I drove...up and down the narrow gravel...roads...
thinking...I must have made a mistake...taken a wrong turn...
I found my way back...to what was left..of the Old Driveway...
sat...in the car...
and wept....
The thought...never...entered my mind...
that someday...it wouldn't be there...
I still go back...every year...
and...in my mind...I see the Old Farm House...with the Squeaky Screen Door...
and the Ponies...grazing...on the Lawn...
The little...Creek...next to the Drive...where Dad...and I would...Fish...
and watch the Turtles...Sun...themselves...
but...mostly...I remember..that Easter...
All of us...kids...hunting..Easter Eggs...
and waiting...for Mom's..Fried Chicken...to be ready...
I remember...as we were running around...and riding the Ponies...
It was such a Beautiful...Warm...Day....
Mom had the Sun Porch Windows...open...off of the Kitchen...
and the Aroma...of her Fried Chicken...was Wafting through the Yard!
Oh My....
That was one..of very few times...I remember...
so many of our Family Members...being...together...
{they had all...helped us...move in..}
So...The Book...
is Priceless...
I get to visit the Old Farm House...
each time I open it....
and...walk through...the Big...Old...Beauty...
in my mind...
The Book...is truly wonderful...to look at...this time of year...
Gets my gears turning...anticipating....
Spring....
I'm sure glad...I stepped up...and spent the money...
less..than a tank...of Gas...today...by far...
and...look...how many Miles...it has taken me...
oh my....
Love...to ya...
Barb C.
 
 
A Treasure....
Oh My....
What I wouldn't give...to have This...Structure...
Holy Smokes!
While Liz was out..the other day..we ran to the Post Office...When we returned...we watched the Birds...building nests...in the Martin Houses...
They are really something...to watch...
oh my....
Yes...this is Exactly...what the Old Farm House...looked like... the floor plan...was slightly different...but...very...close...
What a Gift....

No comments: