Friday, October 22, 2010

Before....and...After...

This Old Corner Cupboard, was at an estate sale, early this year.... I didn't get it bought... and... it didn't sell... the family sent it to auction, where I asked my friend, Maurina, to bid on it for me...{the auction was during my Spring Sale...}I paid one fourth, of my estate sale offer.... who would have thought...
It was kind of a mess... but... it had fine bones...and a very sweet voice... I knew it could sing, if given the chance...It's little drawer, is all hand dovetailed... and, until we started scraping on the nasty, newer paint...{layers and layers} I didn't realize, it's walnut.... I love walnut... So, John worked his magic... {no stripper... all hand scraped} and even scraped the inside, down to the original blue paint...{he left some of the earlier red, if he would have went down farther, it would have went to wood...} He replaced the crown, with crown moulding, as early as the cupboard...and picture framed the top, where the doors had been... {they are long gone...we could have replaced them, with early doors... but this old cupboard has the most amazing cut outs, for plates...{like none I have ever seen,,,} I think, should I wind up with it... I would want to see the top open.... I do Love This Old Darling!}} The wonderful old tin patches, on the bottom door, are Old, Old Patches!!{John does them, just as well, tho... but this time, he didn't have to!} The Old Girl, is pretty substantial... it's around 7 feet tall... and close to 4 feet wide... not too deep tho... so... not too intrusive, into a room... It's a Sweetie!
The Old Corner Cupboard is Smiling.... It's headed for the Mid West Show, to Make it's Debut!
Stop by our booth, and say Hello!
{click on the image to enlarge...}

6 comments:

Debra@CommonGround said...

Hi Barb, she is a REAL find. Very unique, and I think she wants to stay with you. I love her without her doors, she shows off so beautifully! Hope you're doing well, my friend.
hugs,
Debra

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Hello, fellow Iowa blogger!
It seems we enjoy some of the same things. In fact, tomorrow morning we are headed for an auction down at Milton.
I love the cabinet. It is a beautiful piece.
★Linda★

Angela said...

Oh, I love what you did with it!!

Deppen homestead 1862 said...

What a beauty!
Teresa

Audrey @ Sweet Cheeks said...

Barb! This cupboard is HAUNTING me! Do you still have it?!?!?!

Audrey @ Sweet Cheeks said...

Yay! She's mine and in her new home ;) Dane already moved a bunch of toys into the bottom...thanks for another fabulous piece!!! Once I have her drowning in Christmas stuff I'll send a pic!