Thursday, February 28, 2013

Leather...and Lace....

 
As I strolled through the House....
this evening...
I  looked around...at some of the things...I tend...to walk past....and never really...think about...
The Old...Chandelier...on the Landing...
caught my eye...
 
It always...has a little light....shining...
Helps me find my way...up the stairs...to bed...after I have fallen asleep..
in the recliner...once...again...
As I looked at it tonight...I remembered the day I bought it....15 years ago...
I was at Kelly Reed's Antique Shop...in Southern Iowa....
It was in a box...in the basement....
I asked Kelly...what he needed for it...
as usual...Kelly...was more than fair...and it rode Home...with me...
I had Folks wanting to buy it...as soon as I got Home...
but...I hoped...some...day...we would be adding on...to the House...
so...I put it back...
It sat in the box...for several years...then...12 years ago....it found it's Resting Place....
I can't...Imagine...the Landing...without...that Old...Chandelier...
It was just...Meant...to be there...
Seems...everything...that caught my eye...this Evening...was...Meant...to be....
The Funny thing is...I knew...it...from the very first moment....I laid my eyes..upon each...of them....
The strange thing...as I walked further..into the Dining Room...
and looked down...at the Old...Primitive...Harvest Table...
I was a bit...taken...back....
Yes..I Love...Over the Top...Goopy...Chandeliers...
Worn...Velvet...Tarnished...Silver...
but...when I first saw...the Old Farm Table....
I had the same...feeling...as I did...with the Chandelier....
and...it was a Mess!
It had a Bow...in the two board top...so deep...if you took a 2x4...and laid it across...it would have a two foot gap!
I don't know...how...it even stood up...
but...it did...and it stood...square!
It didn't wobble...but...it had a Mighty...Sway...Back!
It's Older Than Dirt...
{1840's...to 60's...I suppose...}
It Haunted...me so...at the Flea Market...I spied it at...
My Friend...Harold....owned it...and thought...highly...of it...
It took me all day...to work out a Price....
{after all....WHO...besides..me...and Harold...could Love This....Table...
It was a MESS!!!{obviously...no one...it was there..all day...with Major...Antique Hunters!}
 I thought I was Crazy....for even...THINKING...about it...at any...price...}
But...I fell in Love with it....
and...somehow...John got the bow...out of the top....
{I honestly...was fine with it...with the Massive Bow....Thought...I'd pile Wooden Bowls...on it...and use it for display...in the Shop....It was just...that...Soulful...}
I can't imagine...any other...table...in it's place...
{if I should...Ed...has his name on it...: ) }
But...back...to 'The Leather...and Lace'....
Who...would think...a Grungy...Old Primitive Farm Table....
and...a Beautiful....Little Chandelier....
could be such..Happy...Neighbors?....
I guess...I could....
always...knew it....
There is Something...about...Leather...and Lace....
 
There truly...is....
'
This is a Massive...Shadow Box...I bought many years ago...from Friends...in The Amana Colonies...I'm sure...this was made there...back in the 1870's...or so....The Frame is Layered...in Hand Tooled Leather...Fashioned into Grapes...Flowers and Leaves...They filled it with Wax Fruit...it even has a Watermelon Slice....I had never seen...Wax Watermelon....
It's...one of my very Favorite...Lacey....Leather...pieces....
Home Sweet Home....
I Bought this...from a Darling Couple...that have since... Passed away....Love...how someone...back in the day..added the 'Calling Cards'...to the Punched Work...piece....
A Soulful...Old Darling....
 
I have been...tossing around...thoughts...and ideas...for the Shop...
Working on Ideas...
Finding...Direction...
and...scratching my head...a lot...: )
oh my...
{I'm Thankful....for the Moments...of  Peace...I find...here...at Home...
with...Old...Friends...: )}
 
Love to ya....
Barb C.

No comments: