Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Pies..... Iowa Farmhouse Style... Check 'em out!

This is our Old Cook Stove... Wood/Gas Combination...{we just use the Gas side...} You have to light it with a match, or lighter... and it cooks beautifully... The kids even cooked on it... and had no problems... There isn't much to go wrong with an old stove, like this... It doesn't even have a thermostat... so I have a hanging one, inside the oven...and keep an eye on it... { we use the oven on the top, left.... the lower one is wood burning} Thanks to Cindy B. {Lady Bug Antiques} She had it at just the right time, when my other one, had hinges break, and there was no fixing... This stove is from the early 1900's... and, We Love It! 
Spent the afternoon Baking.... Check out Iowa Farmhouse Style... my other blog....{some folks are having a hard time getting there... just scroll down, to "view my complete profile" click on it, and it will show my 2 blogs, then, click on Iowa Farmhouse Style}
The house smells wonderful... I LOVE To Bake! I Love to Cook! {no time, it seems...} But, when the Holidays roll 'round... I make enough to feed an Army! I'll be posting the food, and home, on Iowa Farmhouse Style...I don't post daily, there... but, I enjoy sharing the projects I have here at home...
Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!
This is a Dutch Apple... I made 2 of them, today...They are Big Pies...{about 12 inches in diameter} I have made this recipe, since I was 15.... The other is a Squash Pie,{ made 3 of those...} I just found this recipe, in my 1892 cook book, along with the Crust recipe... These pies won't ever win a beauty contest...{neither will the cook, for that matter....} But.... I gotta tell ya... This Dutch Apple, will blow your mind....It was my Dad's Favorite... mine, too....
Barb C.

2 comments:

Deppen homestead 1862 said...

They look so yummy!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Teresa

Simply Iowa said...

Hey Teresa!
I hope you have a Great, and Safe Thanksgiving!
{and I'm already Starving...Can't wait!!!}
Barb C.