Saturday, November 6, 2010

A Day at Duwa'a Auction...

This is a large, folk art oil painting... it is pretty cool... I bought another, even larger, oil, that is done by the same artist, in 1952...like 'em... I love this pair of early portraits... They are nicely done... and the frames are very nice... they date, I would say, from the 1860's or 70's... like 'em...
There is some pretty fun stuff buried in this cab, of the little Ford... a Lovely, large, Home Sweet Home, print... an early basket, with a swing handle... neat old books... oh my... Fun Stuff! Love the Old Store Table... it has two massive drawers...grungy, old blue-gray paint and is paneled on three sides... There's a lovely Lincoln's Drape Cement Urn... a cute, rusty, rusty peddle car...{but fun!}
A large hand dovetailed chest...and... all sorts of littles... like 'em! Oh dear... What a day... I was running late, even tho, I was up at 5... I arrived at the Auction, about 30 minutes late... Dale and I previewed it, last night... there was a Gnarly, Store Table, I really wanted... and... some even Gnarlier Folk Art Oil Paintings...and... of course.. lots of stuff, I didn't see, 'til they were selling it... and... two things, I asked Dale to watch for me... {he sat 2 feet away from them...and they sold for 2 dollars... to someone else.... GRRRRR}....{ I was trying to watch both rings, and running from one side to the other} to say the least... I was storming....I didn't say anything... I think my eyes must roll back in my head... and steam spew out my ears... folks just seem to know when I see red...}
{ we hashed it out...he helped me load... and I bought him supper.... but, I will say...I did snap...it was a major, Mad Hatter Moment...{internally... and within a 10 feet radius of my body...} well... several moments... I don't miss many bids... and... I NEVER miss a bid, someone leaves with me.... ever....}
Mark did this to me, once, at this same auction house... I had been running, from one ring, to the other, for hours... before Mark arrived... I was bidding, and getting all sorts of stuff, for him...{taking phone bids, for him...} I was so relieved, when he finally arrived, so he could watch one ring, and bid on my stuff, and his... I'd watch the other ring, and do the same... In the ring, he was watching, I asked him to bid on a pile of Coin Silver Flatware..{that was the only thing, I asked him to watch...} and left a substantial bid with him...stressed how important it was, to keep watch... I collect it...after about 15 minutes, I walked towards his ring{checking on the progress}... saw him, digging through a box of old drawer pulls... and the Coin Silver, was being carried to someone else... it had just sold... all of it... for 15.00... Each piece was worth that.... and their must have been at least, 30 pieces in the box....Yes... I was storming...
Oh well.... I bought a lot of fun stuff... all in all... it was a great day... It's always nice seeing everyone... Barb and Dan, {Park Place Antiques... Marion, Iowa} Dwight and Junelle...{Duwa's Auctions, Wellman, Iowa} Barb H's Dad, from Sisters' Garden....John and Norma, from Cats and Dogs, in West Branch, Iowa....It was all good... I'll have lots of images...tomorrow...
and... The Holiday Open House... Oh My... There will be some Amazing stuff... {The Shop is going to be very... very... full...} Peg is coming up... oh dear... I have got to stay home... and get something done...Oh Dear....
Have a Restful Sunday...
Barb C.

No comments: