Sunday, February 14, 2016

My... Old Friend.

Mark... Liam... Steph... Gary... and me. : )
Old... Friends.
<3
Priceless. 

My...Old Friend.... 
Gary.
: )
I met Gary, and his Wife... Jenny.... over 20 years ago.
oh my.
: ) 
When I first met them.... they were at an Antique Show.... in Mt. Vernon, Iowa.
They drove a V.W. Van....
Gary had Long Hair.... and wore it braided. : )
They had a Passion... for Cast Iron Cookware.
Griswold.... Wagner.... and early... unmarked pieces.
They had some Beautiful pieces in their booth.
I was drawn to it... because... that's all... I cook with. 
Nothing.... in Cast... is better than Vintage. : ) 
We all... became.... Fast Friends.
They also... liked Early... Furniture.
I told them.... to come visit.
I had Much.... and was thinning out.
 {I did... every year... with a 'Garage Sale' }
They came right over... : )
{This was Long.... before I had a 'rabbit hole'... : ) }
I'd collected....since I was little... and... kept upgrading....over the years.
When the cupboards got too full.... I'd have a 'sale'. : ) 
Gary and Jenny.... are such.... 'Soulful'... people. : )
We've stayed... close... over the years.
: ) 
Gary and Jenny.... are living in Oregon... now.
Jenny couldn't come back... Home..... with him.... this trip.
Gary is having some.... major.... health... issues, and... I keep him.... in my Prayers.
: )
{As he... and Jenny... have Us... through... so much... over the years. <3 }
I didn't want to miss this chance...getting together... today.
Pal, Steph.... along with her Husband, Mark... and Son... Liam... joined us....
for a late... lunch. : )
I introduced Gary... to Steph...and her Mom... Pattie... years ago.
They Love... Gary and Jenny.... too. <3
Gary... taught me... so Much.
I LOVED... Old...Old... Furniture...from the time I was little....
Gary... a Master Woodworker.... 'showed' me... so Much More... to Love.
How... to 'See'... the 'Early' Craftsmanship.
Recognize... it.
The Hand... Planing....
Hand.. Dovetailing....
How to differentiate.... Oak... from Ash...
Butternut...from Cherry.....
Hand Cut.... from Machine Cut.... lumber.
Pegged Pieces.... 
Square Nails... Rosehead Nails... Handmade Screws....
Notice... the 'Width' of boards....
really....
how to 'date'... a piece.
oh my.
I remember... him telling me... as we looked at the back... of an old Pie Safe....
It had a 'two board' back.... One... of the boards.... was over two feet wide.
He said.... "We don't have trees.... to cut... these days.... that will produce... this dimension....any more."
 It dated from the 1840's... when we had so Much... Native Lumber. 
and HUGE.... TREES.

Our Old.... Harvest Table.... {That only me and Harold...could love... {and Ed }
that John.... 'brought back.... from a Major... Sway Back... }
is a two board...top. One board... in 22 inches wide. : )
It's all.... wooden pegged.... together. : )
oh my....
Things... I may never have 'noticed' or... 'understood'... without Gary... sharing his Knowledge.
Priceless.
I could run my hands... over Every piece... in our Home.... and show you.... the Amazing... Hand Craftsmanship.....
on each .
Some... were created.... from 'make do'... tools.
When you are 'taught'... these Amazing 'Details'....
You can Never... look at a 'Piece' of Furniture... the same.
Priceless. 

He is Quite.... a Master. : ) 
I Thanked... him...for that... today.
: )
I went on... to teach John... My 'Master... Carpenter'....
what I had learned from Gary. : )
We... all... have Saved... Many... Pieces.... over the years...
we couldn't have..... without Gary's Knowledge. 
His Mutual... Love of Old. <3 
oh my.
Steph.... said the same... today. : )
Gary... has been a Gift... to Many. 
Still... is. 
John... thought the World... of Gary. : ) 
It was Great.... seeing him. : )
Been....too....Long!
He's headed back, to Oregon... 
My God.... Bless.... his....and Jenny's Gentle.... Spirit.
: )
Love... to ya.
Barb C.
{I could write.... many Chapters.... about Gary... and our Journey... together... with our Beloved Old....
: )
Some... touch.... many others... that, like Gary...are still... so close...after so many years.
All.... because.... we have this Passion.... for 'Early'... Handmade... Pieces.
{some... stories... are simply.... Unbelievable...
How... they went through... 'Just'... our Hands.... with Miles... between us all.
Before.... any of us... 'Knew'... one another.
The Old...
'Knew'...
Us. }
oh my.



No comments: