Sunday, March 15, 2015

Happy Birthday... Dad.


Today would have been my Dad's 102nd 
Birthday.
: )
It's such a Beautiful... day, here.... 
It's been so warm... the last week.
I wondered what the weather was like....
this day....
1913.
: )
It sounds like.. we... are not the only ones experiencing.... unusual.... Weather.
From the 14th through the 23rd... throughout the Midwest.... and Southern States....
mid to late March...1913... was a pretty rough time... 
Storms...Flooding... Tornadoes.... 
oh my.... 
There was a Devastating Pack of Tornadoes...{7 } that hit Nebraska....
and Iowa.... on Easter Sunday... {It fell on March 23, that year.}
I read some of the stories.... 
oh my. 
It made me wonder.... about the conversations.... that went on... in the Old...
Derby, Iowa Farmhouse...where Dad was born....
 that long... unsettling week.
It was his Grandparents Farm.... just a little East...of Derby.
Dad's Parents, and his two year old Brother, Ted...... where living there, then...too.
Sometimes... I think... we get so wrapped up... in the present.... day....
we tend to forget... where we came from. 
oh my.
I... miss my Dad.... every day.
He was such a Gift... in my life.
Love to ya... 
Barb C.
{As I was reading about the weather.... of 1913.... it reminds me a bit... of this year.
There was a Drought... a severe... Drought.
This Spring, here...in Iowa... feels... dry.
I'm kind of nervous... about a Drought. 
While searching Dad's 'Home Town'.... information... this morning...
I found an article....
{posted below}
from 1987.
The same year... and the one...and only time... I visited Derby.
Dad... had just passed away.
He, so wanted to attend the Family Reunion....they had planned... the year prior.
He spoke... often... throughout my life..., about The Derby Cafe.
and... The Sisters... who ran...it.
Our Family... ate there... the day of the Reunion.
I...never forgot it.
I've visited with Liz...about it... over the years....
said... if...I...were to ever have a restaurant... it would be like that one.
: )
I...remembered it a bit differently... than the writer, below.
When we walked in to the Old Cafe...
there were three Elderly Women.... hustling and bustling....
The old tables... were neatly set up for our large group.
They had two choices of meat....and many side dishes....
It was more.. like a Threshing Party.... served... Family Style.
You...either liked...what was prepared... or... you didn't eat. : )
{Trust me... The 'Home Style' Cooking..was Wonderful : ) }
It was a Hot day.... they had Ice Water... and Iced Tea.... in old Pitchers... on the tables....
and kept them full. : )
They offered us Coffee or Milk... to drink...as well....
yes... I...was impressed.... by the Down Home... feel.
The Ladies... had several Pies... for us to choose from...for dessert. : )
all...Homemade. : )
In the article below.... there are three buildings... mentioned...
{still standing...at that time.... in Derby.}
One... being the Opera House.
: )
I...was Blessed... several years ago.... when a Friend... brought me...
the original wooden sign.... from The Derby Opera House.
It's in the shape... of a Derby Hat.
: )
The Song....
'I Love'....
posted... above....
: )
is....
my...
Dad.  }
{except... for the 'Coffee... in a Cup'.
Dad... never drank... Coffee.... or...anything else.
: )
Simply...
'Milk.... in a Glass'. : )
<3 }






No comments: