Tuesday, January 6, 2015

silver....

I was invited to a Friend's Home... for Supper...Saturday.....
I always... always... enjoy, visiting with her. 
{and... eating her... Amazing...Food! }
I...also...get to visit... some of my Dearest Old....Friends, when I go.
: )
Over the years, some of my most...Beloved old Cupboards....
 Farm Pieces...
and John's... Masterpieces....
 have found their way, to her door. : )
{I had to laugh.... as I was strolling through her Home... visiting... 'Old Friends'...
just before I left...
I saw an Old... Ironstone Bowl... with Sea Shells...
sitting... up high... in one of my Dear Friends...Shelf..
{Old...Farm Cupboard. }
{I had gathered the Shells... on one of our 'Trips'...}
piled in it...along with one of John's Tin... 'Curly 'Q's' atop....
and...
one of my.... Stogies... inside the Tin...cut out.
{a Joke... because... I am sure... I am... her ONLY... Smoking...Friend. : ) }
I...Gifted that to her... a couple of years ago....
it... made me laugh...because.... she left it...
'as...found'...
{I thought.... she would have dumped it... out, and used the Bowl....}
I...Do...So...Love...My...Friend. : ) }
The last time, my Friend, visited me.... she asked if I had any Coin Silver....
she would like a few pieces.
I...don't have any in the shop.... now....
It worries me... to have it there.
So Much... of the Vintage Sterling... and Coin... has been bought to be melted down....
That.... breaks... my heart.
but.... I do....have a few pieces in the house. : )
I went through.... mine, in the old...tool chest... and took a handful... I thought she might like...with...
Coin Silver... was created from old silver 'Coins'... back in the late 1700's through the mid 1800's....
by... Tinkers... and Silversmiths.....
I read, the Early...American Folks... wanted Nothing... British....
so... they had Coins... melted down.... for their eating utensils....
Early Coin Silver... has always fascinated me....
It's so thin... and light....I, prefer it over Sterling....
Sterling has a bit more silver content than Coin....
but... Sterling... doesn't have the 'feel'.... in my opinion.
I...use it for every day.... along with Pretty Silver Plate I've gathered...
Nothing matches... it doesn't matter. : )
Usefulness...Beauty... Comfort...
well... that matters.
: )
along with the...'Soulfulness'... that only... time... can create.
I, personally... love... the Old Spoons... that have their bowls... worn down.... from years and years....
of...
Stirring. : )
{these.... for most... would be sold... for scrap....
makes me... sick. }
Three, in the below image... are Coin...
Two.... have Surely... been...
 Work Horses.
: )
Hope, you had a Great....Weekend....
filled with Comfort, and Joy.
Old Friends....
and...
Soulfulness.
Love to ya....
Barb C.




I...bought this spoon... years ago... because it had the elaborate... engraving on the back....
it's... Beautiful.
It...reminded me... of John.


This is a Pie or Dessert Fork...
it's not 'Coin'... it's Silver Plate...
but... I love the 'Banner Buggies' advertising on the handle. : )
Banner Buggy Company was located in St. Louis...
The Company built Buggies... from 1910 to 1915, then... went on to build Automobiles....




This is Coin... the below image, is the bowl.... you can see... how it was hand made...
by a Tinker...or Silversmith....
Some... is monogrammed... some... is not.
I like monograms....this one says 'Meloady'... : )
The monogrammed ones... seem to have a personal... feel... and, they make me wonder...who... they were gifted to.
What their 'Owners' life was like... where they lived... what meals... were enjoyed... and conversations they heard....
at the Tables they resided..... : )
I would imagine...this one was made in the early 1800's....


This is the 'Maker's Mark'....
I have researched... some of the names..... on the backs... of the Coin.
Some... was made in the East... some... from the South....
I have a few, that were made in Germany..... as well.
Several of my Favorite Pieces.... I bought from a Dear...Friend.
He, knows so....Much... about this Time Period....and, has shared a bit of his Knowledge.....
with me....
Those Pieces.... I...Treasure.
I've gathered old...silver, silver plate and coin.... since I was very young.
Somehow.... handling... and using... these old pieces.... brings comfort....
to me... always...has.
I...Love... 'Sugar Shells'....
{the fancy one... hanging on the Sugar Urn...in the shape of a 'shell'... : )



No comments: