Thursday, January 16, 2014

If the world is cold... make it your business, to build fires... : )

I reposted this quote, on fb today...
When I saw it... it reminded me... of Dad...
When I was a little girl...
 7 or 8....up until...I could drive... myself...  
Dad would leave me at the Farm Auctions...
to do his bidding for him....
We'd walk along the piles of Farm Scrap Iron...
that were to be sold...
he'd tell me, what he wanted to pay for each of them....
then... take me to see Orvie... {the clerk, at the auctions we went to....}
and tell Orvie... to make sure.. he didn't miss my bids...
I'd be taking care of Dad's bids...  
: )
The Scrap Iron... sold at the end, of the auctions... as a rule...
so... I'd have to wait all day...
In January...February, and March....
it's mighty cold...
Before Dad left...me, to go to cut iron, at the last Farm... we'd bought Iron at, the week or two prior...
he'd walk around... the old buildings... scrounge up... a barrel...find a place, out of the wind...
 then... gather old scrap lumber...
and start a fire... for me to stand by... if I got cold....
The other Men... would stand by it, as well.... throughout the day....
and keep feeding the barrel....
but....
it was always... Dad....
that started the fire....: )
I sure miss him...
He was a Cool.... Cat....
and...no...
they don't make 'em...
like my Dad...
anymore...
: )
Loading for the Show... in the Morn...
then... picking up a load... tomorrow afternoon...
oh boy!
It's gonna be a Busy....Weekend!
Don't forget...
Show on Sunday...the 19th
Lawrence Community Center
East Main Street
Anamosa, Iowa...
early bird 7:30 'til 9
then...
9 'til 3!
Love to ya...
Barb C.
{people...have mentioned, over the years... I look mad, when I bid...at an auction... : )
I figured out...why...
When I was little.... and bidding for Dad... against, the other Junk Buyers.... I knew... I had to look serious...stay focused... on the Auctioneer... and keep close, to him...
or they wouldn't take me seriously...and they might miss my bid....
so... guess... it stuck... : (
: ) }
{and...for the record... Dad...wasn't standing around a 'Burn Barrel'... after he left me... He was cutting Iron...on the Cold... Ground... and loading it...
He shoveled train car loads, of Coal... to make money... up into his late 60's.... and Scrapped Iron, on the Hottest and Coldest Days... you could imagine...until the day he died...
He worked every day... but Sunday, his entire life.
 I remember him heating water on the stove... then, putting it under the Old Ford... to warm the oil... so it would start...and he could work...
One Winter... when I had no work, nor did he...
{nor did.... anyone... }
he and I shoveled sidewalks... in town...for people.... just to make a few dollars... he was nearly 70, then....
I have Never...known any Man... that worked harder....
{John... is Runner Up.... I admired his work ethic... when I met him...
I have a hard time... respecting anyone... who doesn't... work...  }
and we struggled... for money... always... it seemed... but... I never felt 'poor'...
 I always thought... we were... Blessed....
so...very... Blessed....
: ) }


No comments: