Friday, December 20, 2013

The Anniversary.... and... the next... 30 years..... : )

Hmmmm...
My Next... 30 Years...
I unloaded the old cupboard...the other day...getting it ready... for it's next...
 'journey'... and ran across...an image... I had taken, when I was 21...
I never had a Graduation Photo... taken... but... I remember... when I had this one done... a few years...later...
because... I thought...at the time... I...should...
{before I got much..older... : ) }
I had my hair...frosted... and asked Dad... what he thought of it...
: )
He said... "Well... it kind of looks your Mother's...I don't know why... you girls want to do things... to your hair... It's so pretty...naturally... and... you'll have gray running through it... soon enough... "....
: )
He was...so... right...
I was a mess... that day... but... after finding that picture... I had to see... how much... 30 years...of
'the journey'...
have done...
to this... old... girl....
I mulled over... the last several decades... before I compared them....
what a ride....
I...was afraid... of what I'd see...
{I've... had... quite... a 'Journey'... these last 30 years...
oh.......
my.......
: ) }
then...after looking at them...
I thought...
I had a Long... ride... the years leading up...to 21...
so... all's fair....
I realized...
I was...so much...older...than 21...
back then....
I...think... I'll always be...pretty much... the same...
Lots of...Natural... Gray Hair...these days... as Dad promised...
but... as I have always known... there's things... that'll wash that....
all... away... : )
unlike... the rest....of  'the journey'...
I started thinking..about my next... 30 years....
Somehow... with all of the twisting...and turning...
I know....
it'll all... be the same...
it is... what it is...
and...truly....
I wouldn't change.... much...
because... I might miss... some pretty... Wonderful things...
and...Souls....
if I...did...
as...I study... the images...
what I see.... so...plainly... aren't.... the wrinkles....
or...the hair...
it's the eyes...
yes... they are....as the Native Americans... said....
 "The Windows...to the Soul"...
I... see...so... very much....
'The Journey'...
in the latter...
as Cal Smith...described... in a song...
from years ago....
'Hard...and Knowing Eyes'....
yes...
I.... see... that... 
I...truly... do...
It was 29 years ago...today... I was in a car accident...
that... many... wouldn't have walked away...from....
I'll never forget that day... as long as I live....
I...couldn't avoid it...
a Big...Lumber Truck, pulled out... in my path....
just as I got to the intersection....
I was going...nearly 50 miles an hour....
The other driver... simply... didn't see me...
He was at a stop sign...
and pulled out... just... as I was coming through....
I was driving... a 77 Ford... LTD.
I hated driving that car... it was a Tank... The Trans Am...I always drove...
 was in the shop...
{I...complained... almost... daily.... about driving that...car.... }
I hit the Big Truck... broadside... and knocked the rear axles out from under it....
I...remember... bracing...for impact...
Hands... holding tight to the wheel...
arms.... pushing my body back...into the seat....
{not wearing a belt...}
 Brakes...and legs...Locked.... to the Floor....
knowing... in my mind... there was...no...way... to avoid this....
I...can still...remember... the tires... screeching.....
it was such.... a sad...mournful... sound...
 as they tried...so desperately...to grab hold... of the pavement...
to no...avail...
I remember... spinning... round and round... three times... in the middle of the Highway....in a straight line....towards...home....
like...we were in slow motion....
When the Old Ford... came to rest... in the center... of the Highway...
I realized... I couldn't get my breath....
thought... I must have...broken ribs....
I wanted out of that car... and began to panic....
I tried to open the door....it wouldn't....
I began...hitting it... with my shoulder... then, laying back on the seat... and kicking the door.......pushing on it.... trying so desperately...
to escape....
Then... I sat still... and thought...
Try the other door....
It opened....
I crawled out...
my face... and legs...were covered in blood....
My knees... had went through the dash...my chest and
 face... had hit the steering wheel....
and cut my nose... in two....
I was wearing my waitress... uniform... and a light... leather jacket....
Nylons... and a Dress... aren't very good... armor... : )
My...mind... was racing... heart...sinking....  thinking... as hard..as I hit.... that Truck...
I...surely... had just killed... someone.....
I...stood... in the middle of the hiway....
the Old Ford... had travelled... about 200 feet... from the impact....
I began... limping... towards the Broken...Lumber Truck....
resting in pieces... in the intersection....
Just then... a man... came around... the back... of the wrecked Truck...
in Coveralls....
We both... just stood still...
staring at one another....
then... we ran...towards each other...
and Embraced...
we
just...stood there... Holding... Each Other....
Both... feeling...so... Relieved...
and Thankful....
The Other.... had Survived....
Had... I been in the Trans Am...
I wouldn't be here....
When I saw the damage... later to the Big...Old...Ford...
that...saved my life...
I couldn't believe it...
The bumper.. was pushed up... to the driver's door hinges....
{It Had a LONG...Nose... like a Lincoln...and it was... All Steel... }
This was the same year...the above image was taken...
I'll not complain... about what the years... have done...
or...the Mountains....
or...
The Journey...
I... am so...very Blessed... to have had them... at all....
we all... are...
Hallelujah.....
Love...to ya....
Barb C.
 
 
 
 

No comments: