Tuesday, December 10, 2013

pretty... paper

Pretty Paper...
 
I carried... the old... Christmas Paper... upstairs....
in preparation....
: )
I have picked up...old wrapping paper... for years, at Estate Sales....
I remember... those styles.... from the 60's and 70's....
The Brown, Pink and Green... is some...I bought new, a few years ago... because, it reminds me of Daughter, Liz....
I have Giants Rolls... from old department stores... down the rabbit hole...that I won't sell...
{I'll sell...or give away... sheets of it...here and there....but... it reminds me...of when I was a little girl....8...9... and 10... window shopping...at the
 Big... Department Stores...
 Downtown....
Smulekoff's...
 Killian's.... Armstrong's...
Montgomery Wards...
Sears and Roebuck
{as Mom...always referred to it... : ) }
J. C. Penny's...
and
Hawkeye Seed...
{I Fell In Love... with a Huge...White Tree...all Dressed in Pink... one year...
at Hawkeye Seed......
I visited it... Dozens of times... that year... : ) }
 then... Woolworth's....
: )
where I'd have a little snack... before the trek...home...}
Downtown... Cedar Rapids... was so... Beautiful...
when I was a child....
The Big...Department Stores... had the Most... Beautiful... Animated Windows....
Oh Boy!
What a Treat!
and...no matter...what little... trinket...I found there...
{ Armstrong's }
They...would Gift Wrap it...
for free...
: )
I'd stand there... gazing..at the multiple rolls....
of Beautiful Wrap....
Ribbon...and Bows...
the Ladies... were always...so kind....
and...patient...
waiting for me...to choose....
: )
They'd do such a Beautiful... wrap... and put... Fancy...Ribbon....
on...the 1.00 stockings... or...2.00 gloves....
{and...if... I had enough.. money...saved... I'd buy Mom...
a small bottle of 'White Shoulders'
perfume....
{that is her... Favorite....and only could be found... at Armstrong's...}
: )
I'd either walk....Downtown... or take the Bus...
{Usually... I'd walk... the mile.... or so... there...
{always... stopping on The Cedar River Bridge... staring...into the water....looking for Big Fish...
 Once... I spotted... Pennies... all over the River bottom...
Sparkling like Diamonds!
then...saw Parking Meters...
strewn...on the bottom... 
I called the Police Station...
immediately!
...when I got home... so they could retrieve...
what looked like a Million Dollars...to me!!!
Treasure!!}
 then...
 take the Warm...City Bus... Home.. : ) }
{with my 'Dime Store'...Treasures... in tow... : ) }
The above song... always makes me think... of
  'Downtown'...
at
 Christmastime... 
{sigh..........}
Love...to ya...
Barb C.
{you can skip the 'ad' on youtube...}

No comments: