Monday, November 4, 2013

Had a Glorious Day... Down the Rabbit Hole!!!

 
Sunday... was such an Awesome Day!!!
{Thanks...to All...who Visited! }
I...got So Much Done!!!
Worked in the Yard...
Got the Tent... Down!!!
But... what really made my Day...
was a Little... Opossum...
: )
Saturday...morning... as I was headed to the house....from the rabbit hole...
Something caught my eye...
It shouldn't have...
Back... behind the tent... is an old stock tank...
It doesn't hold water... only an inch...or so... just below the drain....
it had old leaves in it... and an inch of water....
and...
a little Opossum... curled up... in the wet leaves...
I stopped in my tracks...
as my heart...sank...
He... looked... lifeless...
I grabbed a long board... and slid it in... to form a ramp....
hoping... if... he was alive... he could climb out...
as the board...slid close to him... he moved...
{: ) }
he..was alive... but... how weak...was he?
how long... had he been there?
oh my...
I didn't know...if he'd have the strength...to climb out...
and it was so...cold....
I wondered... how long... had he been in the muck...
yet... I waited... a while...to see... if he would find his way out...
No...
When I went back... about 20 minutes later... he was still... laying there....
hadn't moved an inch...
I ran up to the house to get John...
I have come face to face...with a Opossum...
before...
and didn't want to go there...again...
So..thought I'd see if John would...
: )
{as Liz said... this morning... when she heard the tale...}
"Dad...hadn't been 'Scarred'... yet..."
{she, Justin, Winston {our Beloved German Shepherd} and I encountered...
a Full Grown Opossum in a tree...
inches from our faces... in the Dead of Night... next to our Frantically...Clucking Hen House...
Years ago...
Needle Teeth..Barred...and Hissing!
YIKES!!!!
 It was Every Dog...Woman and Child...
For Themselves!!!
all I could muster...was...
"Run!!! Run!!! Run!!!"
yeah... and I was Leading The Pack!!!!}
Yeah...Exactly...Dad hadn't been 'Scarred'... yet...
He found an old bread box... tin... that I was going to pitch...
and scooped him up...
{Heavy Gloves on...}
The Opossum... hissed a little... but...was too weak... it seemed...to struggle...
I was Sick...
He placed him... in the Sun... under the Lilac Bushes...
I mounded a little clean Straw...around him...
John put Cat Food...and water... next to him...
and we left him alone...
{kept peeking... every now and then... hoping... he'd be gone... but... no...
he was curled up... in the old tin... lifeless...
Then...the wind... blew the lid over... on the old tin... but...the Straw... kept it open... about 6 inches...
the Sun... was still... I thought... keeping the box...warm...
When I went to bed.. that night....
all I could think about... was that little..Opossum...
From my window... he was just... 20 feet....
It was cold... would I have to bury him... in the Morning...?
I put the little Opossum...in my Prayers....
{John... will rescue... but... he has a Real...Hard Time... Burying... so... It's me...or Justin...}
I hadn't gotten much sleep...the night before...as Miss. Scarlett...and Polly...were my Bunk Mates!
Oh My Gosh!
No Room...for The Old Gal!
and...I wasn't getting much.... Saturday Night... either...
When I woke up... the first thing... I didn't want to ask...
John...
was....
"How's... the little Critter?"
but...I did...
"He's Gone!"
All the food was gone...as well!!!
Hurray!!!!
THAT... Made...My Day!!!
I was on Cloud Nine...All Day!!!
I put a board...in the old trough... so that won't happen again....
I don't let anything hold water... and keep things flipped... because...I know... what can happen... I never dreamt... this would happen...
The little Critter... was just a little..too...little...
to be able to climb out...
When I walked in the shop...
I had two...little Birds... Flitting around...inside...
How they got there...I'll never know...
I turned the music off... and opened the doors... all day... hoping they would hear the old fountain... and find their way out...
They did... late in the afternoon...
oh my...
The Rabbit Hole...
what an...
Adventure!
John and I... took down the Big...Cemetery Entrance... that was at the front of the Shop... yesterday...
It had been sent sideways... in a Storm...this Summer...
There were Three Birds Nests... in the Gnarly... Grapevine... that had taken over the Old Iron Structure...
I could hear the Baby Birds.... in them...
The Huge Vine... wouldn't let the Massive Piece... come down... it just looked... a Mess... all twisted from the 70 mph winds....
We took ratchet straps... and drove posts in the ground... to be sure...it stayed upright....
then...we left it alone... until... the Birds had moved out....
We saved the Nests... they are such a Hoot!
Plastic bag fragments...... Old Lace... Moss...from the rabbit hole....
all entwined...
oh my...
Critters...
The Outside, Front of the Shop...got a Good... Cleaning...
yesterday...
I cut vines... and moved tons of concrete...
Still have a long way to go.. before the Snow Flies...
: )
I'm starting to go through...CHRISTMAS STUFF... in Storage!
Don't Miss The OPEN HOUSE... December 5th, 6th and 7th!
I'm Selling it by The Bag Full!!!
There IS A LOT!!!
{I'll be pulling from the House...'Christmas'... as well...
If not this year... next!
There...is... a... LOT...
: )
It deserves... to be seen... and loved.... There is so much... I have gathered... for so many years...
I couldn't begin...to use it all... in my lifetime....
Hope to see ya!
Love to ya...
Barb C.
 
 


4 comments:

cindy said...

Praise God and praise you and John for those loving hearts you all have! I am so relieved(?) happy(?) over the moon!!! yep that's it that your little friend made it. I know the heartbreak of loosing and I saw your heart break at the fall sale when you lost a putty cat---so I'm so happy this story had a happy ending!!!

Simply Iowa said...

Yes... we are... 'Critter Lovers'...
Animals... are Pure of Heart... something...humans...seem to lack...and could learn...Much from Every Other... Living Creature... God Created... : )
yes... losing them...or watching helplessly... as they suffer... Is HELL... for me... Pure... Hell...
I felt... so Very Blessed... when the little guy... made it through... My GIFT...for The Day!!!
YAY!!!!!!
Love to ya...
Cindy!!!

Brandon Woline said...

Oh My Goodness...so happy the little critter made it! What a great productive day you had.
Call me when you start going through Christmas.

Simply Iowa said...

Brandon...
I'll be callin' ya in the Morn!!!
I couldn't make it there today...
But am going to hit it...first thing!