Sunday, May 6, 2012

It's Not...the Years... It's the Miles...

It's not the Years..it's the Miles....
and....I feel every bump...from the Millions of Miles... I have travelled...this morn...
I'm 39, today...
{if you believe that....I have a Magic Bean...I'd like to sell ya...}
I have had some Birthdays.... that I have looked forward to...
My 10th... I remembered thinking...I was One Tenth of a Century Old! Wow...and Mom had a Birthday Party for me....
My 14th...when I could finally...drive...partially legal...{I have been driving alone...since I was 12...}
I remember... always...worrying...every time I saw a Policeman... Thankfully...I have been 5'8 since I was 11...and always...looked much older...
My 16th... when I got my Licence... and...was...legal...
My 18th... so I could Party... legally...
I guess... age really shouldn't bother me...I have been...'old'... my entire life...
I was at a Horse Sale....when I was 16, and a couple of Old Men...I had known for years...asked me, how old I was...
I said...16..... They laughed....and said... " You have been 21... for Years".... They didn't believe me...
I used to Babysit... to make a little money.... beginning...at 9....
I was Babysitting...kids...several years older than me.... their parents...knew... how many years old I was.... but... they wanted me... to take charge of their kids...
Guess...they knew.... I was 'Old'... even then....
and...the kids...knew it too... I never had any problem with them....
Birthdays...don't mean much...to me...
I do...like to sneak away.... and gift... myself...to a day... that is all mine...
but... it won't happen...this one...
Too much work...to be done....
Maybe...I'll put it in a little box... and unwrap it...
when things...slow down... a bit....
Give myself...a 'Birthday...Rain Check"...
{What am I saying.... I have Celebrated.... A Hundred...of 'em...Already!}
Love...to Ya...
Barb C.
{ I remember...the very first time... I heard this..." It's not the years...it's the miles..."...I was a waitress..at Happy Chef... I was 27.... and my co-worker, Kathy...asked me...in front of two regular customers.....{I called the 'Hecklers'......} how old I was... {she was 35} I told them...and they roared! Kathy is a very...Catholic Girl.... very sweet...had 5 children... She said...laughing..."Your not either!!! Really... How Old Are You?!" I said...TWENTY SEVEN!!! {had to go get my licence!} Her face went white...she was sooooo sorry!} Then... One of the "Hecklers" Sniped... " It's not the Years, Barb... It's the Miles"!!! I SMACKED HIM!!!!
But...the older I have gotten...the more I realise...
a Truer Statement...was Never said....
and... I had been 21... since...I was 5....
Maybe..that's why...I am 16...and...Crazy... now...and then...!
That...Inner Child...
That Crazy...Inner...Child....
She's here....
Always....
Love..to Ya!}
{The Funny Thing Is....Everyone....Older...Always thinks...I am am their Age! My Dear Friend Jeri...said... referring to a woman..." You Know Her Barb...She's Our Age"... { I am younger...than her youngest daughter}...she caught herself...and we Roared... oh my....The Miles!}

It's been a 'Landslide'...this morn....think...I'll jump down the rabbit hole...I need it.... then...maybe...jump in Sally...and Drive...just...drive....
Happy  Birthday...to...me....

2 comments:

Betty G said...

Hope your birthday is wonderful, sweet friend! Much love to you~Betty :)

Simply Iowa said...

Thanks...Betty!
It Is...What it Is...
All...Good...
Love Ya!