Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Platters...Go 'Round...

I decided to dig out all the platters...in the 'Big' Cupboard...in the Dining Room...tonight... I call it my 'Huge Trinket Box'....nestled behind, 4x8 feet, glass, sliding doors......are the kid's school projects... pictures...Chery's Obituary, and a loch of her hair...I clipped, before they took her away... along with many other Obituaries...of those... that I have loved dearly... a loch of Admiral's Mane, I clipped just before they buried him...and his picture...The Huge Ironstone Platter, the Boys gave me, in Texas.... { that I swear I heard the fuselage bow out, in the airplane...as I was trying desperately, to put in the overhead, in Chicago....the Steward said it wouldn't fit....and I'd have to check it....{I was blocking people in the isle....I was hurrying...hurrying...}I assured him...it would....it did... : )   } Bird's Nests... letters...or, envelopes...with the handwriting...of Loved ones...{sometimes..I love the envelopes...more than the card...}
Many...many, gifts from friends...over the years... From 'Make Do' Pincushions...to, lovely Christmas Pieces...
I thought it was time...I take stock...of the Old Platters... My friend, Rick and I...had been discussing...Old Staffordshire....and I knew I had quite a few...pieces... but...oh dear....
I kept piling them, on the Old Harvest Table.... They are from about 2 feet....{most of them, are in the 22 inch range...}down to the smallest...{ in the Big Cupboard...} 14 inches...
I wanted to choose three... I always lean to the Oldest... but...I picked three...that seemed fitting...for this year...Simple... The one on the far end, John gave me, for my Birthday this year......friend, Colleen, had sold it to him...last minute...made a special trip home..to get it... and wrapped it, for me....{ I took one look at it...with the Big Bow....and said...you got this from Colleen, didn't you!} Love it...
The center one, I found in McGregor, this Fall...for 8.00...it's amazing...huge... and was so happy...to be found...
The last...is an Old Tea Leaf...the Largest one, I have ever owned...I bought it, on a Hot Day...at a Flea Market... in Amana... about 15 years ago...it was on the ground...with dust all over it... in a row...with, all sorts of...other stuff....{car parts...kids toys...} it was priced with old, dried up masking tape... at 5.00...Yes...it has some chips...but they are Old...and Sound... I will be Proud to Serve on it...this Thanksgiving....
The Pie Plates... I gathered a few years back...on my way to Liz's.... I spotted an 'Estate Sale' sign...it was the last day... the family was conducting it.... I saw the old Laughlin Pie Plates...first thing...in the Garage... { I am a Pie Baker...but I use Old Pie Plates...{only} Big...Pie Plates....These are Huge! The ladies said, they remembered their Mother always baking pies in them...they were her Favorite Pie Plates....{ my Heart sank...I couldn't  imagine selling them....if they were my Mom's Favorite...{ I encouraged them to each keep one....} but...they didn't seem to care...and charged me 1.00, or little more, each.... oh my...
The Old Cook Stove, I use...is from the early 1900's...as I am writing...I keep checking the thermometer, I have hanging inside the oven.... as the pies are baking... there are no settings on the oven... It's a Wood/Gas combination...we only use the gas side... It has no pilot lights, either...you light everything with a match...The kids all learned how to use it... Katie, Justin's Wife...wasn't fond of it...when she lived here with us...but...she learned pretty quick...{she Loves to Cook!} .... The Best Things... about this Old Beauty...is...It's Beautiful...and..There Is Nothing to go Wrong with It! SIMPLE!{and I bought it from a dear 'Lady Bug!'}
The Oven..is Small...so I cook the Turkey in a Roaster.... it frees up my stove...
I went and visited Peg, today.... She is Amazing...Her entire Family is.... I Love Her So....
and... Better than That...She Loves Me....!
Please...keep Peg...and her Family..in Your Most Positive Thoughts....and Prayers....
They are Working, You Know...

Sometimes...the Maker's Mark...is as Lovely...as the Piece...

Oh My... and...they All Needed a BATH!!!


Love these old Pie Plates...I have 2 huge Enamelware ones, I love, as well... those are for my Apple Pies!
 
That is my Favorite Bowl...sitting on the left side, of the old Stove..it has some chips...but...it's a hundred and fifty years old...or better...I have my Pumpkin Pie, mixed in it here...{bread crumbs are drying in it, now...with a towel over them...for stuffing...in the morn...} I don't use a mixer...just spoons...and whisks... With this recipe, I have to add sweet potaoes... {fresh, cooked} because the pie plates are so large... I add them...usually about 4,  and mash them with the Pumpkin...I always put way more spices..and sugar, and, an extra egg or two..depending on the egg size...than the recipe calls for, too...I gotta tell ya...My Pies ROCK!!!!
 I can see it... Peg's Beautiful Blue eyes just Twinkle...with Angel Dust!
We All Have Sooooo Much...to Be Thankful For!
Happy Thanksgiving...To You...and Yours...
Barb C.
{ I'll explain the sweater...later....} {oh...my...The March Hare!}

{As I finished last minute grocery shopping.... I grabbed some lunch...Three Highway Patrol Officers, sat at the table, next to me... I sat there...and thought...how much, they sacrifice...everyday...for us...and this Crazy World we live in...isn't Mayberry....what they must see...on their travels.... oh my.... I thought about saying something to them... but...went on my way.....
As I was leaving....the store...I saw, they were just finishing up....I walked up to them, and said..." I have to tell you guys something...that I know, you won't believe, when you have me pulled over...some day.... {and I...may not be in the mood to say....while getting a ticket...{or...'warning' : ) }
But...Thank You...Thank You...for Everything You Do For Us...Every Day..."
 The one Officer...Blushed...I think, sadly...it surprised them...., they all Beamed!... Bless their Hearts...}

No comments: