Sunday, June 26, 2011

Old Soul...

Teresa, Jacob, Kristen {15}, and Nicole {13}
They had visited the shop, night before last...then went to the Titanic Expo, in Davenport, yesterday...then stopped back, last night, made purchases...then headed home...{another hour drive....} We were all so tired...I had had a long couple of days...and so had they! They live an hour or so from here...We unloaded, and reloaded their little Subaru...with treasures...then they headed for home...I headed for the house...and fell asleep in the recliner...but...what a Great Day!
This is what I work for...To bring Happiness...and Excitement to Folks...With this Old Soulful Stuff! And when they happen to be Younger Folks...it's even Better! Kristen was hunting for a 4 H project...and I could hear her excitement...as she wondered through the 'Rabbit Hole' maze...:"I can't wait 'til I have my own house...and can decorate it"...she whispered to her Mom, Teresa, and Sister, Nicole..."Look at this"... as she fell hopelessly in Love, with a Darling little Folk Art Stand...with oil cloth on it's top...but underneath, was layers of 1930's newspaper...I pulled the cloth off, and we stood there and read through the print....and advertisements...I bought the little stand from Tom V., he will be delighted when I tell him where the little stand went ...Tom is a retired Principal...and is always so encouraging to the younger Folk...I told Kristen about Tom...and all of the wonderful treasures he brings to Shows...and how he, and his Sweet Wife, Paula, have the Best Eye...for Cool...Gnarly... Old Stuff! Just like Kristen....and....Nicole, and...Jacob...They all were having a fun time Gathering... and Scouting...and...They All Went Home....with Treasures! Even Teresa...{who is a bit more refined.... had a bit of a raised eyebrow...to the Folk Art...{Daughter, Liz and I went through the same thing...Liz loves the Old Stuff...just...a little different 'Old Stuff'...than I do...and it's all good..{I have raised an eyebrow, occasionally...myself...}
Kristen has great plans for the old window...and is redoing her room....I asked her to send images...After visiting with the girls, Friday evening....I got the impression...they really want to be themselves...and have their furnishings represent who they are....and...not have things, that are mass produced, that you could find in every house...in every store....EXACTLY!!! It's so Great to visit with people...that think, the same way you do....age...has no bearing...You Simply CLICK!!!
 Nicole loved the little drawered piece...{so did her brother, Jacob...} Jacob liked an old Funky lamp I had just brought in...and the late 1800's horns, mounted on a worn velvet backboard...he opted for the horns...
It was wonderful working with them...and I can't wait to see them again...
Love to ya!
Barb C.
{These are the days, I hold dear...
When I have folks be a little cutting...the ones that try and trip me up..and..look down on the old Soulful stuff...and the Dark and Dusty Rabbit Hole..{Bless Their Hearts!} I pull this...from my spinning brain...and remember...the Old Souls...the ones...that 'click'...}
{Nicole even made it through...over and over...the Rabbit Hole..on Crutches!!! She broke her foot jumping into water, that she was told, was much deeper, than it was....She is very fortunate, she didn't dive...we know a man that dove into water... hit a rock...and is paralyzed from the neck down....very...very important to check out the water first... and diving into a river... lake or pond...is not a good idea...nature changes things...daily...what may be good today.... may be very bad, tomorrow...
Love to Ya...}

2 comments:

Kristen Lowe said...

Thank you so much for all the help yesterday, Barb! I showed the stand to my dad, and he loved it just as much as I do! We came up with the idea to just get a thick cutting of glass to set on top of the newspaper instead of possibly harming it with varnish. Also, the rest of the glass panes of the window made it home safely... :)

Simply Iowa said...

Hey Kristen...
The Pleasure...was all Mine... I so enjoyed you...and your lovely Family....
The Glass top sounds PERFECT!!!!
Be sure and send me images, of your new look!
Thanks for Being an Old Soul...and appreciating, worn, well loved...and Soulful Things...
You are a Gem!
Love to Ya!
Barb C.