Monday, October 11, 2010

The Gnarliest Quilt...

I found this Unbelievable Quilt, while on my trip to Elkader, last week... {Turkey River Mall } It knocked me off my pins... I am not a quilter... But I appreciate, and love them so... If... I were to ever make a quilt... this would be exactly what I would create... A primitive Log Cabin...{or...maybe, a "Crazy Quilt"} surrounded by Big, Beautiful Floral Fabric...something, off the charts, beautiful... oh my....
The Old Quilt is quite large....{full size, at least... with the center, being about the size of a crib quilt...} I would so love to visit with the one, who created this quilt, a hundred, plus... years ago...I have a feeling...we have much in common... I showed it to Peg, and Patty, yesterday... Patty's jaw dropped...{Fern Hill} {I told her, it would make her smile... she was speechless....} and Peg...well... she said it was absolutely me...} I have always loved a 'Leather and Lace' look... It's the whole package... Like, the Iowa Farmhouse.... You would see a beautiful, ornate Wardrobe... then, open the doors, to find it filled with gnarly old bed ticking, from Grandma's House.... and Grandpa's old Coveralls, in need of mending... fifty years ago...but never got done......It's hard to explain... maybe a bit 'Bohemian'...but... when I laid my eyes on this Quilt... it spoke clearly, without saying a word...
This old quilt's handwork, is amazing.... The Log Cabin center, is nicely bordered, with the Floral Fabric... every inch of this quilt, is finely hand pieced...{tiny, close stitching} It is filled with the softest, pulled wool....It has a lovely, very early, gray and black, pinstriped back, that Wanda liked... of course...{Gatherings} I guess... there's a little something for everyone, in the Old Darling...
Well Gals... I LOVE everything about it...the entire package... It's truly, one of a kind...
Barb C.

5 comments:

Kay said...

When you described it, I thought, "Na.. I won't like it." But hon, it does "speak" to a person! Can't explain why I like it too, but I do! It does just grab your heart. Nice find. Air it out and snuggle under it for a bit. You deserve it!

Gracie's Cottage said...

Oh yeah...it's perfect!

from me to thee......... said...

oh, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it too....the floral fabric is to die for...and the contrast between the primitive log cabin quilt and the floral is just awesome!!!!!!!! Linda

Shelley Haganman said...

Love that quilt and I love that "Turkey River Mall"!

Anita said...

I have the same pattern- was my Grandma's- made of men's suiting and coats- heavy as heck!

I finally posted some pictures I took of your sale. Got a great one of Mark!