Thursday, October 7, 2010

Country Roads....

I jumped in the truck, yesterday...and headed North... to see my dear friend, Vi... She called, and was wondering what I had been up to.... I thought.... I haven't seen her, for a long time... and I need the road...
Bob and Vi, have a shop, in Manchester, Iowa... about an hour north of me...I don't remember how I found them, but I love them...they are dear souls....I bought a couple of gnarly old urns, and some littles...then, was going to head home... but... decided to continue on north.... Strawberry Point, and Elkader... I used to go to Elkader, the second weekend in October, in my former life.... We'd load up the Horses, and spend the weekend, on the massive trail ride... used to be over a thousand horses, on the 20 mile, Sunday ride... I always rode bareback, it was a long ride, through the hilly, and winding trail...{sometimes, the trail would be straight up, a limestone ledge... I'd hang on to my horses mane, and lean over his neck...then, lean way back, on the descent, into the Turkey River....}you, and your horse, had to be in pretty good shape...They had trailers, to pick people up, who couldn't go the distance... we always made it...those were the days...
I snapped this, while heading north, out of Manchester.... The leaves are just begining to turn...
This is a landmark, as you drive into Strawberry Point... Love It... This is the Franklin Hotel, in Strawberry Point... I stopped for lunch, here... It was very, very nice... The dining room, at the Franklin... I snapped this image, as I was leaving Strawberry...the little Cross... just peeking through the trees... a little reminder... Folks always think Iowa is flat... nope... it's amazing... some is kind of flat... but, for the most part, it is rolling hills... this is the beautiful Catholic Church in Elkader.... The Buttery....
This is a Darling Store, in Elkader... {www.thebuttery.net} {new blogspot coming soon!} The store is great.... Jodean is gearing up, for the Fall, and Holiday Season...She has selected the most unusual Cottage Furnishings.... some, like I have never seen... Lovely... Jodean said, I was a day too early.... I am missing the Witches Night Out.... She was working on her costume.... what a fun girl! Try and visit Elkader... It is just Beautiful....
There are 2 other stores, there, and I had a very relaxing time, meandering through... Elkader is nestled in a valley.... not far from the Mighty Mississippi, and on the Turkey River, in North Eastern Iowa... It is an amazing drive, in the Fall. It is wonderful there.... it seems as though you have stepped back, in time, a hundred and fifty years... I enjoyed the ride... and the people...
I stopped at Hoges Auction, in Coggon, Iowa, on the way home ran through fast... left a few bids, with sweet Marvel... I'll be calling, to see what I purchased.. if anything.... I ran into Mark there.... He and I purchased the most Gnarly Deer, all mossy, and grungy, yet, in excellent condition.... Thought they would be stunning, for the Mid West Show, in a couple of weeks...

3 comments:

Betty G said...

Ohhh-I love these pix! I love this part of Iowa! A good friend and I used to take road trips there. The pix are wonderful and I feel like I was right there traveling the winding roads with you. The scenery is breathtaking and the little shops and sites are heaven! I am glad you had such a wonderful trip. Old friends and new are good for the soul. (((HUGS))) Luv~Betty

Michele said...

Hello from a fellow Iowa girl! We are heading up through Strawberry Point and Elkader this coming weekend to head into Wisconsin for our yearly leaf viewing ~ you are so right, it is like stepping back into time. I just found your blog and became a follower. I invite you to come visit me at my blog ~ www.abushelandapeck-frugalfanny.blogspot.com ~ and become a follower!

~Michele

Jodean Bown said...

A few (okay, more than a few) months late to thank you for the wonderful writeup on the store...and to let you know my blogspot (abutteryhome.com) is finally up and running plus we moved the entire store NEXT DOOR in a wonderful lightfilled space and loving it...next step...moving to Elkader...we are thinking a loft apartment above the store...would love to visit your place soon!
-Jodean, The Buttery