Saturday, October 30, 2010

Ahhh....Treasures...

I found the Old Cuckoo Clock, at Bob's... I love Cuckoos...it came from a Cedar Rapids Estate... They have always fascinated me, since I was a child... visiting a distant relatives home... I would sit patiently, and wait for that little bird to come out...then.... it would happen so fast... I just had to wait again, to get a better look!
Nothing says 'Holiday Home', more than an old Clock... There is just something soothing, comforting, and homey, about a 'key wind' clock ticking away... {I'm listening to one now, right behind be... in the Kitchen...it's the same feeling I get, when I hear a gentle, Spring rain, on a tin roof...}
I can imagine, how the Children, of years past, must have lay awake, in the wee hours of Christmas Morning... wondering if Santa had come.... wondering what time it was... listening for the Old Clock to strike... and hoping, it wasn't too early to go flying down the stairs!
{I still do this... when I wake up, in the night.... I listen for the old clock to strike...wondering what time it is... hoping it's around 5... and not too ungodly early to get up.... and usually am very disappointed, to hear it strike, 1...2... or three... grrr...}
A Cuckoo has always eluded me... I have had several, wonderful, old, old Cuckoos.... Black Forest Cuckoos... from the 1880's... but... bills to pay... I never got to keep one, for home...
I have an old Cuckoo, that needs some work, in John's shop... I've asked him, to bring it up, and I'll see what it needs...This one, pictured, needs a little gluing...and another piece, to the number 12...but... I love the Case... the French Horn... the Rifle... the Carved Deer...I'll clean and spiff, both of them up...They are both, pretty large clocks... they will be a great addition to the house, and shop... I really miss hearing that little bird.... I'm going to keep one of these...and... the other will be at the 'Primitive Open House' in December, for someone else to enjoy... or... for the Little Shop to enjoy...
After grocery shopping, Friday.... I popped in at Bob's shop... 3rd Street Resale... in Cedar Rapids... Found some fun stuff...Bob and I always get along... no matter... we both sit, on the same side of the isle, politically...so... if we ever have issues... we both let them go... because we are allies... a very good thing...Tracie, Bob's beloved, stopped in, as I was shopping.... I always love seeing her... She is such a kind, and gentle spirit.... I found all sorts of treasures... everything from Christmas... to jewelry... I bought a wonderful pair of Crystal Lamps... and a single, fancy, Crystal Chandelabra.... {I just made this word up... It's a very goopy, prismy, double lighted table lamp...{Chandelierish...}{made that word up, too... spell check hates me...} it definitely has 'Muchness'....oh dear...} I don't get there, enough... Pal, and Show Partner, Mark, has a booth there.... I keep telling him... I want to really work on a 'Farm House' look...when we do shows, together...he says he doesn't have much, that fits that category... Hmmm... I saw several things in his booth, that would be perfect.... ahhhh... what to do.... I even bought one of them... The darling Match Holder... Oh My Gosh... Talk about Early Iowa Farm House... I have Never seen a Cooler one...
Had some sweet Southern Iowa Gals, pop in, yesterday... They really liked the concrete, I had in the back of the truck... I unloaded, flipped things around... we played, and played with it... {I got a real work out!} That stuff is so cool... and they had such a great eye... it was fun to play... just wish the toys would be a little lighter...Then... Dale popped in... we had a good chat...
I'm working in the house, today... and... maybe outside...and... maybe in the shop... So much to get done, before Winter arrives...
Hope Everyone has a Happy Halloween! Filled Fun Surprises with and the Best Treats!
Barb C.
Lovely Vintage Ornaments... I have never bought so many, in a group... seems a shame to split them... Maybe I will price the collection... and try to keep them together, a while longer...
Odds and Ends... I love the tin abc plate... very old.... Tracie had neat Cameos and Bob contributed to the jewelry hunt, for my Memory Trees... I love the worn Velvet, on the little pin cushion...I'm going to try and apply the Cross, to my denim jacket... it's from a Lodge... I Love it... fun stuff.... Here's the awesome Match Holder... Now... If this isn't 'Farm House'....what would be?{love the wonderful old gnarly paint!} My goodness... People cooked with wood burning stoves... heated with them too.... lighting was oil lamps, and candles... Matches were a necessity in every home... This one, is quite large...6 and a half inches tall...and over 5 inches wide...pretty big, for a match holder...it still has it's original lid, with the 'striker' on it!

2 comments:

Angela said...

Beautiful vintage things!!

pollyanns said...

I haven't made the rounds in forever... guess I need to head to Bob's, huh? Hope you are having a great weekend. I'm off to Rock Island next weekend... actually looking forward to it. Love ya, sweetie!