Sunday, September 12, 2010

Life in the Fast Lane....Antiquing, is Not for the Faint of Heart....

Well... it's 12:30...another 19 hour day...another 350 miles... Both, me, and the Gnarly Head... are taking a deep breath...{ I have to laugh at the commercials, that portray Antiquing, as a kind of 'Sissy' way of life... to the Macho, Sport Dudes... Ahhh.... Bring 'em on.... Let me have 'em for a day or two...and a Show, or two... I'd have 'em cryin' like babies....} Cheers!
Barb C.
{I had to move 'I Ain't No Quitter', up to second song....It has gotten me through, this last week... and reminds me of so many... in my life, that I have had the privilege of knowing... that, also, 'Ain't No Quitters'...}
The day started off, at 4 a.m..... Had to get showered, and run... Had to load a dry sink, to deliver... Then pick up Dale, and fly.... It was Jo's Auction today, in Des Moines... I had promised her I would attend, but... with all of the 'life', that was presented to me, the last week... I wasn't sure I was going to make it...But...after the Canadian Girls, Bev and Linda popped in, yesterday... and I spent time, in the shop, working....and...getting reacquainted with my place... I was ready for an adventure... and Boy... Did I find one...Oh My....
Dale told me Valley Junction, in West Des Moines, was today... so we hit the road runnin'. and was there by 8, or so...I found some great stuff! I had never been, so it was a real treat! I bought a darling bird bath, with a gnarly, old bird, that perches inside the bowl...I've never seen one like it! A pair of rusty old shoe display carts, that would be Great, fitted with glass shelves! A darling chaise lounger, in French Style, from old pal, Sheila...{It was her mom's...it's really in mint condition...} a Sweet, early 1900's folding wire plant stand...and from Scott...{I love him!} A Very Cute, French stand, 2 marble lamps...the coolest French Shade, and a funky early 60's Globe... Then...as I was leaving, I bought the Gnarliest, little, Old, Old, Wooden Trencher... Oh My!!!!! Oh, I forgot about the bisque flower pots, and Great Old Bench... My, My!!!! Dale and I pretty much had a load on... But... There was another little thing, we had to do... Go to Jo's Auction...Just south of Des Moines...
We arrived around 10:30...it started at noon...We had no idea, there would be so much stuff... and... great stuff... Oh my... I got into REAL TROUBLE!!!! I bought, and bought and bought and...well...Bought...The ring had split, to 2 Auctioneers...{and they were the nicest guys...} Tho, Dale was bidding for me, in the furniture, I was literally running back and forth, and, my Flip Flops, were simply, in the way... so...off they went... and I was back on track...{ I'm such a Hick...} I had piles and piles of stuff, Jo was throwing sheets over my treasures, and I kept goin'! Oh my...
Dale and I were totally fried, by the end... It was a long day... and... there are going to be many more, long days, ahead.... I couldn't get anymore on the truck, tonight... so, I'll take the Ford, and Box Truck, tomorrow, and Tuesday... and hope... I can get everything on.... I'll have more images tomorrow... as I sort, at Jo's... I was buying so much great stuff, by the box full, that I really don't have a clue what is all there... All I know, it ranges from Primitives, to Victorian... Tinware...to, Majolica... and...all very cool... after all, It was Jo's Auction...and she's one of the Coolest, Classiest Cats, I know...
Barb C.
{I have just popped the cork, on the dusty bottle of Gnarly Head... I deserve it.... Wish you were here, to join me...
Cheers...} This is the beautiful fog, that ran for miles, along our early morning journey, following the Iowa River... it was Lovely... Here's a shot of the Ford, as we were leaving Valley Junction, this morning... oh my... These are the gnarliest cast iron Hand Moulds... Very old... I have a Sweet, friend, in mind, on these... Ahhh... Majolica.... I bought this darling blue and mustard pie safe... no doors... but... great display!{ I bought at least 4 cupboards... maybe 5.... I don't remember... It's all a blur... a bare footed, 'Gnarly Head' blur....} I Love these funky, tufted chairs! Jo used these in her dining room... and they are spic and span!!!{ Comfy, too!} Sweet Little Dry Sink! Darling French Vanity...WAAAAAY Cooler, in Person! This is the Darling Chaise, I bought from Shelia.... I carried it in, tonight, through all of the obstacles, of the Green House, and Rabbit Hole... I got it inside, and protected... but, it'll have to 'stand tall', for the night... I was done....It was GREAT seeing everyone, today.... Bev, Linda, Kim, Jo B. and her family, Catherine, Shelia, Stevie, Scott, Laura, Jo-Dan's... I could go on and on...Even being so far from home, it felt like home... I love Jo... Just being around her... is a 'Good Thing'...

No comments: