Tuesday, June 8, 2010

New Orleans...The French Quarter...

Allyson and I arrived, yesterday, 'round noon... New Orleans is quite the city.... We are staying at a huge Antebellum Mansion, on the edge of the French Quarter... So, walking distance to the attractions...It's hot, and humid, kind of like August, in Iowa....It's a different world, here... Can't decide what to think... It reminds me of a huge carnival.... steeped in a 200 year old tea pot...The people are very interesting, and they almost have an aura of, " I've seen it all... been exposed... and, am tired"....{ those would be the locals...the tourist, they are here to have fun, and seem oblivious.... and, are having lots of fun...} I have visited with several folks... Some, who grew up here, some 'transplants', They seem to be on the edge... looking for a way out....I had a long visit, with a young man, who is actually an actor... He grew up here, had many obstacles, and hurdles growing up, but wound up, in Hollywood...When things slowed down there, he was offered a wonderful job, from an old friend, back here, in New Orleans... We visited for sometime, it became very spiritual.... Allyson stood back, and witnessed this... I believe, and so does the young man...{he said it first} It was a life altering encounter.... A woman from Iowa, walking into a store, on a side street, in New Orleans.... on our departure, learning all about this young mans life.... God, we believe, sending confirmation, through our brief encounter.... well... it was amazing.... You really had to be there.... Wherever this young man lands, I have no doubt, because of his faith, and his ability to 'see', he will be, exactly where he needs to be...and he, accepts that.... { he doesn't believe in 'coincidence' either...} Allyson and I ran up and down Bourbon Street, enjoyed all the great architecture, sampled several southern drinks....and specialty foods... We ate Oysters, and lots of pralines....Don't worry about the calories... we must have walked 20 miles...and we perspired off every ounce of alcohol.... oh my.... My leg is still a mess...So, this morning Allyson is on a walking tour, and I'm hanging out, at the Mansion...I visited with Ed, last night, { leftoversantiques.blogspot.com} Check out their blogspot.... It's absolutely stunning... I follow them, so you can get there from here....} Ed has been to New Orleans, and gave us some great ideas, of places to visit.... The Garden District was one of them... We had that on our list, and are intending on going today, or tomorrow... He also mentioned, the River Road.... and checking out the Plantations....That, is up my alley... We'll try and do that, on Thursday... Wish Y'all Were Here! Barb C.

1 comment:

Gatherings said...

Well I see you have become a southern girl. You are not sweating but perspiring! Hope your leg holds out. I have come down with some horendous bug! Getting checked out tomorrow. Cannot hardly swallow! Ugh! Have you seen the oil on the coast yet?