Saturday, May 15, 2010

Bloomington... Third Sunday Market....

We just got home, almost midnight... I am pooped... Body hurts, all over... I ran into some great folks, and, Dale and I had a good time.... It was nice seeing Roger and Linda,{ they always have wonderful things, just as you walk through the main gate, and on the left.... Be sure and check them out...} fellow blog follower, Brenda, from Galesburg, Illinois...{ She has the coolest stuff, at Ziggy's Antique Shop, in Galesburg! I love to shop there!} Susan S., and her family were busy setting up, and I bought several wonderful treasures from her! George and Terry, who always have great stuff, were just finishing their booth, as we were leaving... I couldn't get out of the van, to check out their stuff... My entire body felt like it had been in a vise... George walked up to my door, and I made my apologies, I'm sure they will have a great show... They always come up with the most unusual....For the most part, we had a great day, and brought home a nice load...Missed Pat and Cathy... I always bring home great treasures from those Gals... But never found them! They have totally changed the buildings around... and it was hard finding everyone! I will have to say, it was a little tuff for me to buy...and, most folks didn't want to discount, much... Except, of course the folks I bought from.... They all worked with me, just as I do for my customers... I know, there are things, you simply can't deal on...{ have a lot in...} but, when purchasing a large amount, or a more expensive piece, it's nice to get a little break... It cost us 70.00 in fuel, and 20.00 each, early bird admission... We came to buy... Poor Dale only bought a crock, and 6 crochet balls... He thought things were a little tuff to buy too... I guess we are spoiled, with our Iowa finds....I will say, it wasn't this way, the last few years... we have always bought well in Bloomington... I noticed the Vendors were a little grumpy, too... The last dealer, who I have always liked so much, had me in tears...I was asking her a question, about a burl bowl, { I am not well versed on early burl bowls} and she came unglued... I don't know if she thought I was being sarcastic, and she thinks I'm a lot more educated on these early bowls, than I am, or what... But, I was stunned...Her husband picked up on it, right away... I could see, he felt bad...and was silent, for a moment, then attempted to correct his wife's statement... but, it was too late... Part of me just wanted to walk out of the booth, and leave the things I had picked out, at her feet... I didn't have the heart, to bark back at her... and say, " hey, I wouldn't ask these questions, if I already knew the answer"... I don't want to sound stupid, when my customer asks me..." how old, where did it come from"... is that wrong? How sad... I love to help people learn about this wonderful old stuff... I truly can't imagine talking to one of my customers this way..... { the bowl wasn't inexpensive... neither were the other things I had picked out of their booth... I didn't ask for a better price on a single item... The husband always shoots me great prices on their wonderful old stuff...}{ I really do like these people, I guess that's why, I felt so sad....} So, I asked them to figure my bill... { I already did, in my head...} I wrote out the check, didn't even fill in their names,{ I was too stunned, to even write...} scooped up my purchases, and left...After this day... I don't know if I'll go back... I know how hard it is, dealing with people, when you are trying to set up....But, that's life, at many shows...and always, at 3rd Sunday... Oh well... Must be a Full Moon...My Special Visitors are coming tomorrow... All will be right with the World.... Have a Great Sunday... Barb C.

3 comments:

summersundays-jw said...

I made a deal with myself after coming across rude people -- no one gets my money who's rude to me. My money comes too hard & nothing's worth it. (Well, almost nothing, maybe a wood bowl.)

Nedine Says said...

After upturning their table(only slightly joking) I would have walked away with empty hands. I don't tolerate rudeness and I will walk away from a sale before I cater to someones rude behavior. there is no excuse for it.

Betty G said...

I'm sorry this person was such a disappointment, Hon. Thank goodness there are still so many wonderful people in this world who make life so much better. You are one of them. :) God bless you, my dear. Luv~Betty (((HUGS)))