Sunday, February 21, 2010

Rose Marie...Happy 90th!!!

I spent the day, with my Mom, it is her 90th Birthday! We had a wonderful visit...I took in 72 cupcakes, plenty for all of the folks, and staff... A bunch of balloons, that everyone loved... but unfortunately, Mom is blind, and can't see anything, anymore... We laughed, and talked about her childhood... When she was born, on the Farm, in Garner, Iowa... The Doctor came out, and told my Grandmother, that Mom wouldn't survive... she was too small... So Grandma put her in a shoe box, set the wood burning stove's warming oven, so it would just stay warm, and she saved Mom's life... Mom barely weighed 3 pounds.... Amazing... Mom said, Grandma just wouldn't give up... She had already lost a Son, in childbirth, she was determined to save Mom...Wonder what that doctor would say, today, on Mom's 90th? I put the song on, for Mom, that I remember my Dad, singing to her, when I was a child... They had quite a 'Love Story'... They loved each other so... but couldn't get along, for too long... They divorced, when I was 5, but never dated anyone else... They would live together, and those days were wonderful, until they didn't... Those days, were the worst... and then, back together, again... They always loved each other, and we had a nice visit, about Dad, too... She misses him so... I assured her, we will all be together again... He and my Sister Chery, and all of our family, friends and critter's too, are just waiting for us... It was a good day... 'til next time, Barb C.

5 comments:

Stephanie Brandenburg said...

That is so nice! I like your profile picture too.

Lori R. said...

oh how wonderful that you were able to spend such a special day with your mom! At 90 years young, she looks so spry and I think you truly gave her the best gift, she got to celebrate her birthday with her daughter!

Kay said...

Happy Birthday to your mom!! I actually know where Garner is. My Dad was born and raised in Wesley, IA. We always had to drive through Garner to get to my relatives. :)

Anita said...

The music reminds me of driving home from church, all of us in the station wagon, on Sunday morning WMT. Treasured memories.

Scarlett Scales Antiques said...

Barb, that is so sweet. I love the story about the shoebox! She was tiny
Later, Scarlett