Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Let Them Eat Cake... {just not this piece...it's 113 years old!}

I was at an auction, 12 or 13 years ago, in Vinton, Iowa, and they were selling out an estate, where the family had written on everything, when, where and who! Thank goodness! I saw this slice of cake, and everyone thought I was crazy, but I bought it... I don't think anyone even bid against me... Hmmm. {silly people} The note that is with it reads: Cake this cake was baked in the year of 1897 by Jossie Ammerman- it took the prise at the county fair in Minnesota Now really... How cool is that? I also bought a wonderful hand dovetailed butter stamp there, it also had a note, speaking of the person who made it, and a large wooden bowl.... I ran the wooden bowl up to around 200.00, and didn't get it, the note went with the bowl.... I thought about asking the woman who got the bowl, if I could copy the note, but she left, as soon as she bought it. Oh well. I'm feeling a lot better, today, and am going to start taking Christmas down, at the store... It truly is time for Spring... Barb C.

5 comments:

summersundays-jw said...

Don't think you have to worry about anyone eating this piece of cake. Love the story. Hope you got your Christmas down. Jan

Simply Iowa said...

Well, actually, my son Justin, had me concerned... I could see his gears turning, as he pondered the century old cake... Like, hmmm... I wonder what that would taste like???? I warned him, he better not even go there!
Barb C.

Anita said...

Hey Barb- Hope yoiu are feeling a little better this week...I LOVE the pictures of your booth...so Springy! And I for one and sooo ready for Spring!

Lori R. said...

Glad you are feeling better this week. The spinnys are no fun at all! My son would eye that piece of cake thinking, "should I?" It reminds me of an episode of Seinfeld (Elaine eats a piece of very expensive cake from an auction). I hope you are getting the sunshine in your part of Iowa this morning like I am here.

Nancy said...

Hi Barb,

I love the cake story. That's something you don't see at an auction everyday.

It reminds me of my personal cake artifact. On my Golden Birthday when I turned 8 on the 8th of October back in 1971 my parents took me out to eat at the 64 Club in Council Bluffs Iowa. The waitress brought me a special small decorated cake. Since we never ate out I just couldn't ruin that beautiful little cake. I refused to eat it and vowed to keep it. Years later my Mom found it in it's original little box. Hopefully it's still at my parents house. I think I'll give my Mom a call and see if she still has it. Of course I only have 70 some years to go to match your slice. Ha...

Keep Warm,
Nancy